Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Hesitation after quick rolling stops - Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hesitation after quick rolling stops - Ecoboost

I tried searching but couldn't come up with much for the same issue. Too many other hesitation topics...

Anyway, I am having a bad hesitation fairly regularly when I do quick or rolling stops. I will push the throttle to accelerate again and it just falls on its face. I am not sure if it is something in/linked to the transmission shifting between 2nd and 1st or purely engine. It doesn't feel like a missfire. It just like the throttle does nothing for a second or two.

I have brought it up at the dealer, but on a test drive we couldn't duplicate it. I have also reset the throttle by doing the key/throttle cycling.

Has anyone else noticed this and know what the solution is or if it is another "characteristic"?

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

What gear is it typically in when this happens. Have you tried to repeat it with manual shift mode? I wonder if you are just hitting a spot when the truck is about to downshift, then you apply some throttle and it decides not to shift so it has a short skip before it gets going. If you can put it in M and lock it into a gear and try it, you can see if the hesitation is still there without the shifting being a variable.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Boostking
What gear is it typically in when this happens. Have you tried to repeat it with manual shift mode? I wonder if you are just hitting a spot when the truck is about to downshift, then you apply some throttle and it decides not to shift so it has a short skip before it gets going. If you can put it in M and lock it into a gear and try it, you can see if the hesitation is still there without the shifting being a variable.
I will give that a try! Thanks
Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boostking
Tried the manual mode and it does seem to make the problem go away. It does bring out all the clunks and bumps in the driveline if I downshift too early into 2nd or 1st. I also noticed (when in drive) that there is now a groaning noise when this occurs. This is new (not sure how it would be related) since I just got the timing chain/cam phaser TSB completed. I never noticed a noise previously. Maybe the updated the PCM firmware. Not sure, but it does seem different.

Anyway, it does seem to be related to transmission being caught in a not sure what to do state. I am guessing a custom tune would get rid of a lot of the problems I am having, but I just don't want to lose warranty quite yet.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes I went back to stock for a short time and that hesitation was very apparent right away. Running a tune for so long I hadn't noticed it for a long time...tune made it go away.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

mine does that almost every time, so I would call it annoying, but normal unfortunately.
Part of the issue is the tranny being stuck in 2nd gear, but there is also a noticeable delay when applying the throttle. Like "ok, road is clear, let's go" foot down, maybe 20-30% throttle, 1 potato, 2 potato, might as well bring some bacon, oh there we go... sometimes it will downshift to 1st, sometimes it just moves in 2nd. Of course if you nail the throttle it will downshift and go like crazy, but we're trying to be civilized here
and no, it's not turbo lag contrary to what the dealer said to brush it off when I first mentioned it.
The best way to describe it would be a novice manual driver slipping the clutch excessively... same thing, some throttle but no moving..
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ecopat
mine does that almost every time, so I would call it annoying, but normal unfortunately.
Part of the issue is the tranny being stuck in 2nd gear, but there is also a noticeable delay when applying the throttle. Like "ok, road is clear, let's go" foot down, maybe 20-30% throttle, 1 potato, 2 potato, might as well bring some bacon, oh there we go... sometimes it will downshift to 1st, sometimes it just moves in 2nd. Of course if you nail the throttle it will downshift and go like crazy, but we're trying to be civilized here
and no, it's not turbo lag contrary to what the dealer said to brush it off when I first mentioned it.
The best way to describe it would be a novice manual driver slipping the clutch excessively... same thing, some throttle but no moving..
It is very annoying. You are expecting it to go but it doesn't...give a little more throttle...wait...oh, there we go. Glad I am not the only one.

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Yes I went back to stock for a short time and that hesitation was very apparent right away. Running a tune for so long I hadn't noticed it for a long time...tune made it go away.
Thanks, very glad to hear that custom tuning is able to get rid of this.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My 13 Ecoboost does the same thing. Not every time, but often enough to be annoying...
Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

My '15 does it too. It is kind of annoying. But I think its just part of the way the drive by wire is tuned.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Aj06bolt12r
My '15 does it too. It is kind of annoying. But I think its just part of the way the drive by wire is tuned.
I agree with this. My 11 EB was much more responsive. Now, my pedal feels dead off the bottom. I have tried resetting my trans by disconnecting the battery. And it does get a little better. But I think it's the tuning of the DBW that is the biggest thing. This is one reason I have thought about buying a tuner. It sucks, especially pulling out in traffic on a wet road.

Quick Reply: Hesitation after quick rolling stops - Ecoboost