Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150 > 2011+ Engine Related Questions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
mister_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ecoboost Shudder - Big Trip Planned

Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox.

It's now Monday evening - we have a trip planned to head to Grand Tetons NP on Wednesday evening. The truck's check engine light came on today and stayed on so I took it to the dealer this afternoon. For the record I'm in SE Michigan - dry conditions today, no humidity, and like 70. They kept it overnight so they could get an early start on it in the am.

After reading several threads on several forums it looks like this might not be a quick fix or even a fix at all. This trip is huge for us - about 20 days - Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands +more. Of course we want to go but I'm concerned.

Thoughts?
__________________
2011 F150
XLT Ecoboost SCREW 6.5' 3.73 4x4
Convenience/Chrome/Plus/Max Tow
Dual Invision Headrests/Sport Liner/Ford BakFlip/OEM Extender
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Azuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 290
Thanked 461 Times in 319 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post
Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox.

It's now Monday evening - we have a trip planned to head to Grand Tetons NP on Wednesday evening. The truck's check engine light came on today and stayed on so I took it to the dealer this afternoon. For the record I'm in SE Michigan - dry conditions today, no humidity, and like 70. They kept it overnight so they could get an early start on it in the am.

After reading several threads on several forums it looks like this might not be a quick fix or even a fix at all. This trip is huge for us - about 20 days - Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands +more. Of course we want to go but I'm concerned.

Thoughts?
The dry conditions and complete stalling make your situation different then the commonly reported ones. If your dealer has given the truck a green light and a clean bill of health I guess go with it make sure you have roadside assistance and a charged up cell phone just in case. As soon as any vechicle makes me doubt it reliability especially if my wife has to drive it with the kids in it I'll offload that POS. I'm not brand loyal or will I defend any engine.
__________________
Mods / Accessories: Luxury Package OEM Floor Mats LINE X Bakflip VP Tonneu Borla "ATAK" Exhaust Llumar CTX 20% Tint LED Lighting Int AVS Vent Shades Tailgate Assist Bilstein 5100 Shocks Retrofitted LED Fogs Clazzio Custom Seat Covers Amber Reflectors Swapped To Black Remote Starter bilinvic Retrofits HIDs

Last edited by Azuri; 07-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Azuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 236 Times in 177 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

No way go, and don't tow a thing. If your going on that kind of trip your gonna ride thru the kind of weather that will just cause engine to do it again. My truck is in the dealer this morning for the shudder/misfire. I will see what they come up with. See what dealer tells you. At least your check engine should have a code for them to identify. Unless they fix issue and replace parts I wouldnt trust this truck for that long a trip and especially with kids/family in truck. Let us know what they find.
Truck owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 53
Thanked 239 Times in 156 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Your issue sounds more like a bad spark plug or 2.
Ford850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 786
Thanked 453 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Doesn't sound like the condensation issue so let the dealer hopefully find the problem and fix it. I was out in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone last month on a 7000 mile trip pulling a 9500 lb fifth wheel and had no issues at all until coming through Illinois on a rainy day and had the condensation issue twice while rapidly pushing the pedal down. I started rolling into the gas after that and haven't had the problem since. There is speculation that some water may be sucked into the intake at or around the snorkel in the wheel well.
I think you have something else going on though.
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Doesn't sound like the condensation issue so let the dealer hopefully find the problem and fix it. I was out in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone last month on a 7000 mile trip pulling a 9500 lb fifth wheel and had no issues at all until coming through Illinois on a rainy day and had the condensation issue twice while rapidly pushing the pedal down. I started rolling into the gas after that and haven't had the problem since. There is speculation that some water may be sucked into the intake at or around the snorkel in the wheel well.
I think you have something else going on though.
So you had the condensation issue with the Wagner cac?
__________________
2012 Ford F-150, SCW XLT 4X4 Ecoboost, 3.55 Gears
brettd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 786
Thanked 453 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd4x4 View Post
So you had the condensation issue with the Wagner cac?
Yes, twice in one humid 70 degree day in Illinois while towing my 95000 lb fiver and it may have been raining, Only that in 8000 miles and most of that towing.
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Ford Customer Service

 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 379 Times in 262 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post
Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox...
Hey mister_d.

What did your dealer have to say about your engine light? I want to make sure this gets resolved for you.

Ashley
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mister_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hey mister_d.

What did your dealer have to say about your engine light? I want to make sure this gets resolved for you.

Ashley
Thanks for checking in, Ashley. My closest dealer (Bill Brown) is working on it today and is going to get back with me when they have some news. They are replacing a part that was coming in this afternoon sometime. If it came in early enough they were going to install it and run tests. If not, they'll do that tomorrow. I have not been told what the part is yet but will reply here when I know. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue!
__________________
2011 F150
XLT Ecoboost SCREW 6.5' 3.73 4x4
Convenience/Chrome/Plus/Max Tow
Dual Invision Headrests/Sport Liner/Ford BakFlip/OEM Extender
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Ford Customer Service

 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 379 Times in 262 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post
Thanks for checking in, Ashley. My closest dealer (Bill Brown) is working on it today and is going to get back with me when they have some news. They are replacing a part that was coming in this afternoon sometime. If it came in early enough they were going to install it and run tests. If not, they'll do that tomorrow. I have not been told what the part is yet but will reply here when I know. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue!
Sounds good, mister_d. I'll keep a look out for your post.

Ashley
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.