Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Shudder - Big Trip Planned

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ecoboost Shudder - Big Trip Planned

Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox.

It's now Monday evening - we have a trip planned to head to Grand Tetons NP on Wednesday evening. The truck's check engine light came on today and stayed on so I took it to the dealer this afternoon. For the record I'm in SE Michigan - dry conditions today, no humidity, and like 70. They kept it overnight so they could get an early start on it in the am.

After reading several threads on several forums it looks like this might not be a quick fix or even a fix at all. This trip is huge for us - about 20 days - Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands +more. Of course we want to go but I'm concerned.

Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mister_d
Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox.

It's now Monday evening - we have a trip planned to head to Grand Tetons NP on Wednesday evening. The truck's check engine light came on today and stayed on so I took it to the dealer this afternoon. For the record I'm in SE Michigan - dry conditions today, no humidity, and like 70. They kept it overnight so they could get an early start on it in the am.

After reading several threads on several forums it looks like this might not be a quick fix or even a fix at all. This trip is huge for us - about 20 days - Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands +more. Of course we want to go but I'm concerned.

Thoughts?
The dry conditions and complete stalling make your situation different then the commonly reported ones. If your dealer has given the truck a green light and a clean bill of health I guess go with it make sure you have roadside assistance and a charged up cell phone just in case. As soon as any vechicle makes me doubt it reliability especially if my wife has to drive it with the kids in it I'll offload that POS. I'm not brand loyal or will I defend any engine.

Last edited by Azuri; 07-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

No way go, and don't tow a thing. If your going on that kind of trip your gonna ride thru the kind of weather that will just cause engine to do it again. My truck is in the dealer this morning for the shudder/misfire. I will see what they come up with. See what dealer tells you. At least your check engine should have a code for them to identify. Unless they fix issue and replace parts I wouldnt trust this truck for that long a trip and especially with kids/family in truck. Let us know what they find.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Your issue sounds more like a bad spark plug or 2.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Doesn't sound like the condensation issue so let the dealer hopefully find the problem and fix it. I was out in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone last month on a 7000 mile trip pulling a 9500 lb fifth wheel and had no issues at all until coming through Illinois on a rainy day and had the condensation issue twice while rapidly pushing the pedal down. I started rolling into the gas after that and haven't had the problem since. There is speculation that some water may be sucked into the intake at or around the snorkel in the wheel well.
I think you have something else going on though.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Doesn't sound like the condensation issue so let the dealer hopefully find the problem and fix it. I was out in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone last month on a 7000 mile trip pulling a 9500 lb fifth wheel and had no issues at all until coming through Illinois on a rainy day and had the condensation issue twice while rapidly pushing the pedal down. I started rolling into the gas after that and haven't had the problem since. There is speculation that some water may be sucked into the intake at or around the snorkel in the wheel well.
I think you have something else going on though.
So you had the condensation issue with the Wagner cac?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by brettd4x4
So you had the condensation issue with the Wagner cac?
Yes, twice in one humid 70 degree day in Illinois while towing my 95000 lb fiver and it may have been raining, Only that in 8000 miles and most of that towing.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Earlier this month I had the truck stall out on me. My situation isn't much different than the others - one instance I was in the center lane and went to gun it into traffic - nothing but a blinking engine light. Last weekend we were towing our travel trailer up a hill and the truck got the shakes worse than Michael J Fox...
Hey mister_d.

What did your dealer have to say about your engine light? I want to make sure this gets resolved for you.

Ashley
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService
Hey mister_d.

What did your dealer have to say about your engine light? I want to make sure this gets resolved for you.

Ashley
Thanks for checking in, Ashley. My closest dealer (Bill Brown) is working on it today and is going to get back with me when they have some news. They are replacing a part that was coming in this afternoon sometime. If it came in early enough they were going to install it and run tests. If not, they'll do that tomorrow. I have not been told what the part is yet but will reply here when I know. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Thanks for checking in, Ashley. My closest dealer (Bill Brown) is working on it today and is going to get back with me when they have some news. They are replacing a part that was coming in this afternoon sometime. If it came in early enough they were going to install it and run tests. If not, they'll do that tomorrow. I have not been told what the part is yet but will reply here when I know. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue!
Sounds good, mister_d. I'll keep a look out for your post.

Ashley

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Shudder - Big Trip Planned