Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

ecoboost oil can catch

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ecoboost oil can catch

I've seen some threads on this, seems popular for turbo engines. Why not just run the pcv line down to drain on the ground? I know this isn't the cleanest option but I'm not so sure about putting that back into the intake to dirty the motor? Other than making the streets dirty, what would this hurt?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

linking it back thru the intake is what provides the suction thru the catch can
Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
I've seen some threads on this, seems popular for turbo engines. Why not just run the pcv line down to drain on the ground? I know this isn't the cleanest option but I'm not so sure about putting that back into the intake to dirty the motor? Other than making the streets dirty, what would this hurt?
Emissions. Vehicles haven't been able to run open breathers since at least the 60s.

Turbo motors exacerbate the situation a bit because they run slightly looser ring gaps and have a little more blow by when cold. What the bigger issue is with the EB and other direct injection motors is you no longer have the detergent in the fuel spraying the back sides of the valves to help keep them clean of all of that gunk.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've researched this on other turbo forums, honda, mazda, toyota and vw. There are threads on all these forums in the turbo section where people are running the hose down to dump on the ground. Several has stated that they have longer oil change intervals because the oil stays cleaner longer because all that junk isnt recirculated in.*

My question is would this work on the ecoboost? Where its located I dont see where it would hit anything electronic where it would throw a code or not run right.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

This is on the same main page as this thread

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/instal...oboost-242660/

Quick Reply: ecoboost oil can catch