Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Installing dual air/oil separators on ecoboost

Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Installing dual air/oil separators on ecoboost

For this install I'll be using two Moroso 85492 kits. These kits are designed for the Ford Raptor 6.2L. Currently Moroso does not have an application for the EB but they do plan on developing a kit. As I understand it, these kits are build-to-order so stock is usually low. I found one kit in stock so I will be installing that kit on the driver side crankcase vent first. On EB trucks with the oil/water mixture in the CAC, this vent is most likely the culprit.

Here is what is in the kit:

The mounting bracket comes bent roughly 60°-70°. For the driver side install, you will need to bend this braket so it is roughly 95°-100°. The bracket also needs to be slightly rotated so an additional hole needs to be drilled and some grinding to clear the strut tower in its new position.

The bracket that comes with this kit is rough cut and unpainted. After the bracket fits, now is the time to smooth the rough edges and paint. Also, if you plan on keeping the engine cover, it will need to be notched around the oil fill neck.

Here is the final product:

Close up of how it mounts:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

So this kit has been on for roughly 500 miles. Tonight I decided to check to see if it had captured anything.

It did indeed. A very watery, gas smelling mixture. I'm guessing it was almost 25% full.

This seems like a lot to me in such a short time. In another 500 miles I will be switching to Pennzoil ultra to see if that helps anything.

So normally all this goes through the left turbo and, I'm assuming, ends up in the CAC. Either slowly evaporating or waiting to be gulped down by the engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Watt-maker:
byte (01-15-2014), f150man3.5 (01-15-2014), Kenferg1 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I put the AFE charge pipe on tonight and the oil that was in the stock pipe was amazing, I need to get a can pronto.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

I agree. I should've done this from day one. Good news is the other can showed up yesterday. The bad news is I won't have a chance to install until next week. The other can will go on the passenger side like it was designed to. Shouldn't have to mod it much.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't own an eco but I've said many times if I did, this would be one of my first modifications since the engine is DI. Nice work.
The following users liked this post:
Watt-maker (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Nice work. Clean
Watt-maker (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Watt-maker;

Did you open up the separator to see the baffling or media inside? I too have an Ecoboost and I am looking to do this mod. If you got that emulsion out of one I wonder how much the passenger side will have? Gut feeling says same but with the stuttering/hesitation issue mainly affecting the drivers side maybe less on the passenger side. Let us know your findings. Good install pictures.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really intrigues me.... I don't know squat about the EB engine. Would someone please explain why this is important? And if this is important to have, why wouldn't Ford already have some kind of apparatus on their engines preventing that gunk from going in the turbos? Thanks for explaining, and sorry if these are really stupid questions.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Originally Posted by beaker80
Watt-maker;

Did you open up the separator to see the baffling or media inside? I too have an Ecoboost and I am looking to do this mod. If you got that emulsion out of one I wonder how much the passenger side will have? Gut feeling says same but with the stuttering/hesitation issue mainly affecting the drivers side maybe less on the passenger side. Let us know your findings. Good install pictures.
I didn't open it up but I could see the baffle and media from the bottom. I try to get a pic tomorrow. I think there is also a pic or two on Moroso's website.

As for the importance, my eco seems to accumulate a lot of oil mist in the CAC. At some point I plan on purchasing a Full Race CAC and Tial BOV but I don't want the BOV blowing this oil all over. Until that time I plan on drilling a weep hole in the stock CAC but I don't want it dripping oil all over either. Most importantly, I don't want the engine consuming this mixture especially all at once. I've never had the condensation issue but I want to take some steps to hopefully prevent it from ever happening. Here's some additional info taken from Moroso's site:

Custom Fit Applications

• Plumbed into a vehicle''s PCV system to capture the excess crankcase vapors, residual oil mist and moisture from reentering the intake tract
• Vehicles from the factory vent these excess crankcase vapors, residual oil mist and moisture right back into the intake manifold which could cause detonation, oil deposits to form in the intake tract including the valves themselves and from lowering the efficiency of the intercooler in intercooler equipped vehicles
• Increases engine performance from cleaner intake air
• Air-Oil Separators have billet aluminum bodies with internal baffling and mesh media
• Includes heavy duty brass inlet and outlet fittings, Fuel/Emission/PCV Vapor hose, stainless steel mounting bracket and billet aluminum mounting clamp for the body of the separator
• Some vehicle crankcase ventilation systems require that 2 Air-Oil Separator bodies be used to properly capture and ventilate the system

Moroso Air-Oil Separators are available in 2 sizes, Small Body and Large Body not all kits are available with both size body, check part number description.
Kenferg1 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

In a direct injection motor, you never have gas wash over the intake valves to clean them. Gas is instead directly injected into the combustion chamber. Because of this lack of cleaning, blow-by oil can really coke up your intakes. This has been a real challenge for makers of DI motors for a few years now. I even think toyota has a system (maybe honda) where there is one throttle body injector just for cleaning.

You can google direct injection and intake valves to learn all you ever want to know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing dual air/oil separators on ecoboost