Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Custome Tune+Revised Ford IC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Custome Tune+Revised Ford IC

Wondering if anybody is running Fords revised IC put into some 11/12 trucks to deal with the condensation with a custom tune...and if you are having any issues with the truck "accepting" the tune and running strong?

I noticed the inlet pipe from the drivers side turbo to the IC was leaking oil at the IC. And the pipe was not seated flush on the IC, about 1/2" off. I loosened the clamp, reseated the pipe, and re fastened. After 2 days I checked again, with oil leaking again and the pipe 1/2"off again. Out of curiosity a put a boroscope into the IC and it was full of oil. I also confirmed all the blocking and minimized airflow through the revised IC with the boroscope.

Out of curiosity...I am wondering if the revised IC can be so restricting that it cannot flow the added boost from the custom tune...and it is pushing the pipe off the IC and causing a boost leak? I plan on getting a different IC, but this is bothering me and I want to try and learn what is going on.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM

When I refastened the clamp last night I cranked until I thought it was going to break. And after 60 miles of driving today the inlet pipe is pushed 1/2" off the IC again. Is the IC not being able to flow the air a possibility?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
When I refastened the clamp last night I cranked until I thought it was going to break. And after 60 miles of driving today the inlet pipe is pushed 1/2" off the IC again. Is the IC not being able to flow the air a possibility?
Maybe try pulling the pipe off and degreasing the CAC and the inside of the pipe that slips over the CAC.

Tech might have used some grease to slip the pipe on or the oil is penetrating the seal somehow.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 PM

I cleaned it pretty good last night, but will redo it again this afternoon and drill the hole in the IC. Maybe put a little hairspray on the connection. Going to install an Eco tampon and see what comes out.

I recall seeing someone else on here that had the revised IC and they were having problems with aftermarket tunes as well. I know Wagner supposedly did a flow test on a 13 IC and it was no different than the ones in 11/12 supposedly...but no one has confirmed if the revised IC is the same as the MY 13 IC to my knowledge. I'm just really curious if the revised IC could be causing problems with flow which is why some trucks are acting weird and not responding to tunes the way they should.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

The first thing you need to figure out is the source of the oil in the air system? I would bet money that it is the fresh air make up that Ford uses? That line runs unrestricted from the left valve cover to the left turbo intake tube. The more boost you run, the more oil gets pulled from the crankcase.
This is what I did to fix this problem in my pick-up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2014, 04:57 PM

Pretty sure even though the inlet pipe and clamp were seated below the rib on the IC...while in boost this was causing a major leak and screwing my truck up. Anyone who has had issues with the revised IC, I would double check those connections. The only reason I found it was because of the oil around it...just looking at it it looks fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM

May have spoken a little soon...just went for a rip and checked the pipe again and there is a little oil coming out again. Its still where it should be but I have a feeling once the oil penetrates its going to slip again. Maybe I need a new boot part, I dunno. Keep an eye on it I guess. Catch can+new IC

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Just to revisit this, I received and installed my aFe intercooler last Weds, and the difference is night and day. I finally have my truck back and a whole lot more.

I always wondered if the revised IC installed by Ford could flow the air added by a custom tune. It definitely cannot. My truck was doing all sorts of weird stuff and the BOV would constantly release boost. That affected everything from power to shifting of the transmission.

With the new IC, everything is working as designed. This thing hauls now.

If there is anybody having issues with a custom tune and Fords revised IC...you have to get yourself an aftermarket IC. I am kicking myself waiting as long as I did, but I am so happy with the truck again.
The following 3 users liked this post by maplelakeduckslayer:
brucesears (01-18-2015), Kenferg1 (01-14-2015), Watt-maker (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Just to revisit this, I received and installed my aFe intercooler last Weds, and the difference is night and day. I finally have my truck back and a whole lot more.

I always wondered if the revised IC installed by Ford could flow the air added by a custom tune. It definitely cannot. My truck was doing all sorts of weird stuff and the BOV would constantly release boost. That affected everything from power to shifting of the transmission.

With the new IC, everything is working as designed. This thing hauls now.

If there is anybody having issues with a custom tune and Fords revised IC...you have to get yourself an aftermarket IC. I am kicking myself waiting as long as I did, but I am so happy with the truck again.
Exactly what mine was doing.

Have you added a catch can yet? How much crap was in the old IC?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
FX4 User

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had/have the same oil leak on the CAC. Tightened it and it is holding. Should clean it to see for sure. Made a pretty big difference in mpg and drivability too. Either mine was loose from factory or loosened from repeated boost/no boost conditions. I don't have a tune.

Quick Reply: Custome Tune+Revised Ford IC