Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Fold 2.0 paint damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solid Fold 2.0 paint damage?

Hi all, just purchased a 2016 Lariat Sport a couple weeks ago, joined the forum, and now starting off with a stupid question

After a good bit of research on tonneaus, I ordered a Solid Fold 2.0 (the deciding factors were looks, no rail to install, and the ability to easily remove). I put it on yesterday, and aside from spending over half an hour adjusting it to allow the automatic tailgate release to work, I like it so far.

My issue is while looking online to see about getting the tailgate to work, I stumbled across a thread or two discussing issues where the paint under the rail caps gets rubbed off due to the pressure the Sold Fold puts on top. So now I'm wondering if this is something I need to be concerned about, or just a couple of isolated events.

Has anyone else seen or heard about this? Wanted to ask now while I still have the ability to return it for a Bakflip MX4 or something. I'd rather deal with the rails than have paint damage.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I had a solid fold for a 1 1/2 years on my truck. There is no visible paint wearing. Look at it this way, The solid fold weighs 50lbs. A full size fiberglass cap weighs from 250 to 350 lbs depending on options. That's a lot more weight on the rails than the solid fold by extang and those guys don't complain of the weight rubbing off the paint under the plastic bed rails. Nothing to worry about.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

One thing I did do was I placed gorilla tape under where the rear clamps contact the truck as a precautionary measure since I have OCD.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, that makes sense about the bigger caps.

That's a good idea about the Gorilla tape. I was looking at the Ford branded trip-fold (looked like a rebranded Solid Fold 2.0) at the dealership when I picked up my truck, and noticed it had little plastic protectors for that. Was hoping the Extang would come with them but it didn't.