Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What's this part ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's this part ???

hi guys ;
it might be a silly question . I'm totally new , in this website and in ford's world, as I recently bought my truck ; based on advises I got from this website I started digging into my F150 looking for PCV elbow to check for leak on it.
I took the "coil pack" out and behind it I found a hose laying almost loose on the engine ( a hole at the end of engine is their inlet - pictures are self explanatory ) but I pulled it out very easy.
1- what is this part
2- should it be that loose ?
3- anybody can show me the PCV in these pictures?

This is the coil pack I removed .

This is an overall picture

This is the close up of the part standing loose !

I pulled it off at the first touch ...

And here's the link to my previous post ...
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59285

I'd like to work on it in this weekend. so any guide is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot .
Happy 4th ...
Mark

Last edited by Magas; 07-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

eh, it looks like a PCV valve to me - don't think that it being loose as pictured would cause significant problems unless the valve was sticking open.

The hose looks awful new as compared to the crud on the valve covers - has some other work been done already? Suggest that the other responses to your posts are looking for a hole in the line(s) somewhere between the valve and where it enters the intake manifold? Unmetered, unmeasured raw air into the manifold will cause problems.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wde3477
eh, it looks like a PCV valve to me - don't think that it being loose as pictured would cause significant problems unless the valve was sticking open.

The hose looks awful new as compared to the crud on the valve covers - has some other work been done already? Suggest that the other responses to your posts are looking for a hole in the line(s) somewhere between the valve and where it enters the intake manifold? Unmetered, unmeasured raw air into the manifold will cause problems.
Thanks for reply.
I have not done any work on it as I just bought it. but it seems that previous owner did some work.
now do I have to change something to make the valve stick to the body.?
How should I check for leak on hose ?
Best
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

A new rubber grommet should fix things up as far as keeping the PCV valve in place. Then there are shadetree tricks such as carefully wrapping the outer portion of the valve in layers of duct tape to shore up the gap.

As far as leaks in the hose, suggest to find where the hoses coming off the PCV valve end up - temporarily pull the hoses off at those entry points, plug the entry points into what I would assume to be the manifold assembly, and see if the truck runs any different. Or pull the hoses off and inspect for cracks, gaps, splits, or other openings. Another trick is to cautiously spray carb cleaner in the general area of the hoses and see if the idle speed picks up.

Quick Reply: What's this part ???