Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

troubleshooting puzzle of the day

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubleshooting puzzle of the day

Ok, I have a '99 ford E-150 with the same engine as my '97 F-150, the 4.6l. Today it died on my wife, with symptoms as if it was running out of gas. Here is the symptoms. The engine starts from the 'off' position, runs for 3-4 seconds then peters out and dies. If I then crank it from the 'on' position, it doesn't start at all. If I return the ignition switch to the 'off' position and try again it starts again, but only for the 3-4 seconds. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and camshaft position sensor. I have shuffled relays and checked main bus fuses for the PCM and fuel pump. At this point I am beginning to suspect the PCM as faulty, but why would it start if that was the case?
Ideas?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 AM
My girlfriend is white.

Is it throwing in service lights?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM

service engine light comes up after the engine cuts out, but I don't have a code reader and I can't get it to a parts store since its sitting in a grocery store parking lot. After what I've spent on the parts, it may be less expensive for me to buy the code reader.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM

bought a code scanner and ran the scan. The scan came up as no faults. WOW! Not one thing. It's good to know that there's nothing wrong with my vehicle. Oh, wait. That's right! IT WON'T RUN! I have to say I am stmped on this. I talked to a dealer tech and he recommends to check the fuel pressure at the entrance point to the fuel filter. I'll try that next.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuel pump has two circuits. One is to start, key moves from off to on and the pump runs for a few seconds. Sounds like yours. Second is after the oil pressure switch satisfies the PCM that the engine is running, the PCM then turns on the fuel pump relay and the pump runs continuously. Yours is not doing this, bad oil pressure switch, bad fuel pump relay, blown fuse, inertia switch needs to be reset. Just some possibilities.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Ok, so I finally gave in and towed it to the Ford dealership. They put it on the computer which came back with an anomoly in the Mass Air Flow Sensor. They replaced it and it worked like a charm. Must be that the MAF sensor was keeping the PCM from turning on the fuel pump after the initial charge. It turned out for the best anyways as they fixed that pesky recall issue for the cruise control wiring hazard.

Solution: Faulty MAF Sensor

Quick Reply: troubleshooting puzzle of the day