Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problems

i have recently purchased a 2002 ford f150 with the 4.6. it possibly has been sitting a while. every maybe 100 times i go to start it, makes a lou whinning noise. i would rock the truck and it fires up. now its been maybe a month since it has done it. i was going to replace the starter but havnt yet. i was curious of maybe from sitting something could of happened to the starter? maybe rusty or sticking from sitting and now everything is ok? any suggestions. i will keep an eye out on the starter.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try putting a piece of wire from the positive to the wire that comes from the starter. If it starts up then it's not the started. Also make sure the truck is in park
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_h
i have recently purchased a 2002 ford f150 with the 4.6. it possibly has been sitting a while. every maybe 100 times i go to start it, makes a lou whinning noise. i would rock the truck and it fires up. now its been maybe a month since it has done it. i was going to replace the starter but havnt yet. i was curious of maybe from sitting something could of happened to the starter? maybe rusty or sticking from sitting and now everything is ok? any suggestions. i will keep an eye out on the starter.
It sounds like the drive in the starter is sticking, pull the starter and lube the front and rear bushings and clean lube the shaft that the bendix rides on.

Quick Reply: starter problems