Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New Rotors and Pads - Anything Else I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New Rotors and Pads - Anything Else I Need?

Hey guys, I am getting ready to do my first brake job. I will be replacing the rotors and pads on both axels. I have watched a few videos and have the tools on hand to do the job.
I wanted to check with the forum before I bought anything.

I was going to go with this kit.
http://www.1aauto.com/ford-brake-pad...=848632&y=1998

It seems pretty barebones. Is there anything else I should purchase?

Is this a good kit to buy?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 5,589 Likes on 4,662 Posts

You could do much better on parts. Kit, looks like cheap stuff that's marked up.

Hoses, - should be replaced
Brakes fluid most likley needs to be flushed.

I suggest doing a little more homework. These trucks are lacking when it comes to braking. Yea more research needed IMO. Should have quality parts/hardware when it comes to these trucks.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Mark

Received 2,421 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Like JBREW said ... don't skimp on brakes and defiantly flush your fluid..
Old 08-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I will do more research.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Make sure you put the pads back in correctly!

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/do-i-h...e-here-354911/
Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 PM
mbb

Received 921 Likes on 751 Posts

Rebuilding and upgrading is nice. At some point hoses might be needed.

But if you need brakes, nothing wrong with just new pads and rotors now imo. Beats not having them. You can do hoses and change fluid, anytime.

$200 is hard enough to put into almost 20 yr old truck for lots of folks. More can be out of question.

You need the threadlocker for caliper bolts.

And a brake caliper compressor tool. Im ashamed to say I used a large c clamp and pad for 20 + yrs before I finally bought the $8 wonder tool that makes it so much easier. Of course back when I started changeing them the only tools ones were US made and $$$.

Last edited by mbb; 08-15-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 5,589 Likes on 4,662 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb

But if you need brakes, nothing wrong with just new pads and rotors now imo. Beats not having them. You can do hoses and change fluid, anytime.

$200 is hard enough to put into almost 20 yr old truck for lots of folks. More can be out of question.
Shoot, my truck would suck 2 hundy from my pocket in no time. It's why I have to hide my cash.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 PM
mbb

Received 921 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Shoot, my truck would suck 2 hundy from my pocket in no time. It's why I have to hide my cash.
Heck with just tires, brakes, ball joints, stereo, and a few interior things added to over $2500 last yr for me..
Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb

You need the threadlocker for caliper bolts.

And a brake caliper compressor tool. Im ashamed to say I used a large c clamp and pad for 20 + yrs before I finally bought the $8 wonder tool that makes it so much easier. Of course back when I started changeing them the only tools ones were US made and $$$.
LOL, I still use a c-clamp, saw someone on you-tube use a woodworking clamp too. Last time I pulled the rear pads off I just used a screwdriver.
Maybe one of these days I will get the right tool (I did buy one of those cube things for rear brakes that many foreign cars use, used it once 10 years ago and has sat in my tool box since).

And yes, make sure to get some blue threadlocker (Jbrew turned me on to Loctite QuickStix 248 Blue, it is some good stuff for it, don't use the cheap permatex stuff) for the caliper bolts. (or just buy some new bolts that come with it on there). I lost a bolt on mine a few months ago. Never knew these were supposed to have it on them.

For the parts, look on Rock auto or maybe Advance Auto. You can get some good price at advance using their coupon codes ($40 off $100, 30% off $50 etc, search online for the codes). Split the orders to save even more. For pads I have always used regular Thermoquiet pads. Good stopping power and quiet, but they do dust a lot. I have been hearing a lot of good about Advance Auto's house brand pads too, seem to be getting good reviews overall.

Last edited by blupupher; 08-15-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Definitely use the locktite as stated, I lost a caliper bolt shortly after doing the job myself.

To save some money and still have quality I would recommend NAPA parts. They do great for me and I abuse my truck.

Also make sure to put plenty of disk brake quiet on the hardware and back of pads to make sure your brakes don't squeel before they are ready to replace.

Always use new hardware that comes with pads!

As for a c-clamp, I didn't even know there was a tool designed for the job and I've always used one. Make sure you leave the pad that comes in contact with the piston on when you compress it. Yes I've seen someone attempt it without the pad.

Do not add brake fluid to your resovoir till after you compress the Pistons on all the calipers you are replacing pads on. When you compress them the fluid will rise inside of there and become overfilled if you add before you compress.

And last but I believe is one of the most important things you need to do is, do not use ceramic pads. They will glaze over and cause brake chatter (ask me how I know). A good quality semi metallic pad will be the best for stopping power, and as Jbrew said, you need all you can get with these trucks.

Just some tips and things I've learned the hard way over the years. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: New Rotors and Pads - Anything Else I Need?