Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How do I know

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Ford Man For Life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I know

If my 2001 5.4 supercrew is a 2v or 3v? Also I have done a lot of reading and researching on what type of oil I should use (stay with the 5w-20) or go with what I've ran in everything else I have ever owned (10w-40 pensoil high milage) also I feel really stupid asking but does the 5.4 hold 5 or 7 quarts of oil? Because I have been told both by a few different people
Old 09-01-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

2V. All 10th Gen 5.4s are 2V, it's the 11th and 12th gene that are 3V
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by nfldfordman
2V. All 10th Gen 5.4s are 2V, it's the 11th and 12th gene that are 3V
Ok thanks do you have any idea on the amount of oil or the type or weight of oil I should be running? I know to only run motorcraft filter I'm just unsure on oil I've heard horror stories of useing too thick of oil and I've heard how all those storys are horse crap
Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

6 qts of a 5w-20 oil is what you need.

The problem with thicker oils in these engines is the timing chain tensioner. If you use a thicker oil, it may take more time for them to tighten (they are hydraulically controlled with engine oil) and with multiple times of having too much slack over time the timing chain tensioner (made of plastic) can break, causing other issues (CEL and timing issues primarily, but can cause jumped timing and ruin the motor).

Here is an article about it with some pics that explain it pretty well.

Last edited by blupupher; 09-01-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added link
Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by blupupher
6 qts of a 5w-20 oil is what you need.

The problem with thicker oils in these engines is the timing chain tensioner. If you use a thicker oil, it may take more time for them to tighten (they are hydraulically controlled with engine oil) and with multiple times of having too much slack over time the timing chain tensioner (made of plastic) can break, causing other issues (CEL and timing issues primarily, but can cause jumped timing and ruin the motor).

Here is an article about it with some pics that explain it pretty well.
That makes sense there was a man on here talking about running 5w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-20 that the 30 was actually better than the 20 and that the ford maufacturs in Germany doesn't recomend people to run the 5w-20 that it wasn't even available over there that the wear property of it wasn't as high and our engines wouldn't last as long running the 5w-20 as apposed to the 5w-30
Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford guy #6
That makes sense there was a man on here talking about running 5w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-20 that the 30 was actually better than the 20 and that the ford maufacturs in Germany doesn't recomend people to run the 5w-20 that it wasn't even available over there that the wear property of it wasn't as high and our engines wouldn't last as long running the 5w-20 as apposed to the 5w-30
5w-20 not available in Germanny? LOL, I would quit listening right there.
Plus there are hundreds of thousands of these modular motors running 5w-20 with millions of miles on them and no motor oil related issues.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by blupupher
5w-20 not available in Germanny? LOL, I would quit listening right there.
Plus there are hundreds of thousands of these modular motors running 5w-20 with millions of miles on them and no motor oil related issues.
I mean I can't really believe that and I understand that there is prolly 95% of trucksthe age of ours evening running millions of miles on 5w-20 all I want to know is if that is actually what is best or if it is some kinda of government mandate to the auto company's that, that is what they have to run and recommend
Old 09-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Default How do I know

Originally Posted by Ford guy #6
I mean I can't really believe that and I understand that there is prolly 95% of trucksthe age of ours evening running millions of miles on 5w-20 all I want to know is if that is actually what is best or if it is some kinda of government mandate to the auto company's that, that is what they have to run and recommend
You've started two threads about this. Run 5w20 and stop asking dumb questions. That's like saying, I know it says use gasoline but I really feel like diesel would work better.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
You've started two threads about this. Run 5w20 and stop asking dumb questions. That's like saying, I know it says use gasoline but I really feel like diesel would work better.
First there is no reason to be a *****..
I started this one after I had only one reply withen a few hours I started another in another section of the fourms (I believe the way my brings everything up is odd) I did not mean to break any rules or anything if I have I just wanted some information from what I thought would be nice people who shared the love of our wonderful trucks on something I was unsure about sorry for wanting all the information I could get instead of doing as I am told guy...
Old 09-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use 5 w20 as directed on the CAP. the guys that built the motor intended it because of tolerances in the motor. there is fantastic article linked in here somewhere... i do believe there is high mileage 5w20 available. also, accept the fact you WILL burn oil and switching to heavier weight oil will not make it better...

at work we have 3 different generation fseries from 150 to 450 with different motors and without fail they require 5w20.

as for the posts, the regulars here find it easier to answer one question once. the search function can usually answer any question you can think of..