Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hidden backup camera (possibly tailgate handle?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hidden backup camera (possibly tailgate handle?)

Has anyone here installed a backup camera on their 97-03? I'm curious as to if it could be done discreetly. All I've really seen in terms of kits online are just cameras that you slap on somewhere, like above the license plate. I have a custom license frame, so I'm not so sure that would work for me. I really like the way ford has integrated the backup camera into the tailgate handle in the past, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing like that available on the market for our year. My crazy brain is telling me to fabricate my own with bondo, but I'm not sure I have the resources to do a good job on it if it was even possible. And since our ford logos aren't in the middle, I don't think an under logo approach is the way to go. What do you guys think? This is mostly speculation, as I'm thinking about upgrading my head unit and I'm deciding if I should splurge on a double din with backup camera input. Any and all input would be appreciated!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 AM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

If you have a straight side bet get a newer 08+ SuperDuty tailgate with the camera and wire it up. You get a big rear style change and an integrated camera ready to go.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM

There's an interesting idea. I've seen that a couple guys on here have done that and I think it looks great. Do all 08+ superduty tailgates come with a camera? Although, I'm not to fond of the idea of having "Super Duty" on the back of my truck. Feels like false advertising . I guess it would need paint anyways and it wouldn't be too hard to just fill those letters in. The only problem I see is that it sounds pretty expensive! I'd probably be looking for something a little cheaper than replacing the entire tailgate. But a great idea nonetheless.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

You'd have to do some searching but I saw one somewhere were the camera went in the spare tire crank rod hole, then it just swings out of the way when you need to access the hole.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jollyroger331
You'd have to do some searching but I saw one somewhere were the camera went in the spare tire crank rod hole, then it just swings out of the way when you need to access the hole.
It's Silverscrews I think
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep. 01SilverCrew put a backup camera in that hole for the spare tire access in the bumper next to the license plate. I'm getting things together to do the same mod but here is the page on how he did his mod for his rear bumper. Pictures are about 3/4 the way down on the page.

https://www.f150forum.com/f78/01-f15...173044/index5/

And here is the camera he used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-CCD-Rear...item416eb44dbd

Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM

That camera looks great, but wouldn't the fact that it's not centered give you a weird perspective?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a hitch, you could probably make a small bracket and mount the camera between the receiver tube and the bumper. It would be kind of hidden and it should be protected there. Just a thought
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah it isn't the best spot but it works. I couldn't really find a good spot to mount it otherwise.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What about mounting it inside a hitch receiver plug? That would put the camera dead center, albeit a little low. You could use a locking hitch pin to make sure it stays put, and remove the camera when you have to tow something. You wouldn't need the back up camera when you have a trailer hitched up anyway.

Quick Reply: Hidden backup camera (possibly tailgate handle?)