Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Electrical - Weird Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical - Weird Problems

2003 F150 Super Crew - 4.6L 2WD, Automatic

Multiple Electrical Problems... HELP!

Symptoms -

1. Starter intermittently engages while engine running and in Park or Neutral. Put it in Drive or Reverse and it stops.

2. Battery intermittently goes dead overnight. Jump start and it recharges fine.

3. Windshield wipers intermittently go dead.

4. Sometimes engine cranks fine but won't start. Acts like it's not getting any fuel (I checked the Fuel Pump Shut-Off switch, it wasn't tripped.

I've checked all Maxi/Cartridge Fuses in the Power Distribution Box in the engine compartment and all are good.

Based on the when these problems occur:

1. They seem to be related as all the above issues seem to occur about the same time.

2. I'm not positive but the starter problem "seems" to happen when the the truck is on a decline (front end lower than rear end).

3. Today the engine cranked but wouldn't start and the dash indicater lights stayed on even after I removed the key AND the key ignition switch from the steering column. I had to pull maxi-fuse #103/Central Junction Box to get lights to go out. Put it back in and lights stayed out, but when I cranked the engine the problem started all over again. I also noticed the at time instead of the mileage showing on the odometer there were dashes all across the readout (instead of numbers).

I pulled maxi-fuse #103 several times in the process of troubleshooting and the engine wouldn't crank (normal), and then "magically" it did crank and start even with the fuse OUT! I had to put the fuse back in to get the tranny to move out of Park.

I drove it home and it's been fine, I started 10 - 12 times without a problem whatsoever!

HELP!

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill
Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Could be that your gem is wet. Have you had the windshield replaced? Does it happen after it has rained?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Yep as I was reading I'm thinking, sounds like another GEM problem
Old 07-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the reply and thoughts. Sorry I haven't check back on this forum recently.

It hard to say wether or not after it stops raining because there are so many different problems to track.

That being said... at this point, I found water in the channel on the driver's side floorboard (where all the wiring is run) and dried it out.

No, the windshield has not been replaced (at least not in the last 2 years since I bought it).

I just checked it again and everything SEEMS to be working. I moved the wiring back in the channel I dried out and put the molding on the PASSENGER'S side back, and everything still works.

It's going to rain later today so I'm going to check it again after it rains to see if that changes anything (one step at a time front this point).

I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks again for your help on this. I want to take a 2,000+ mile trip in a couple of weeks but obviously can't until I fix this!

Bill

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Could be that your gem is wet. Have you had the windshield replaced? Does it happen after it has rained?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Yeah I'm THAT guy

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

It's either...
A. Gem module as stated
B. ignition switch
Old 07-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

GEM sounds like it has problems. Either damp, corroded, or similar circumstances. I'd disconnect the battery and remove the GEM and check where the terminals connect. See if it has corrosion or wetness inside. That's what I would do as soon as it starts giving you fits again.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Only the GEM can cause that much havoc. Keep the truck out of the rain and don't wash the windshield on the drivers side. Keep it dry as you can in that area until you figure it out.

Last edited by Jbrew; 07-23-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical - Weird Problems