Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

e-brake release cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-brake release cable issue

I searched and could not seem to find mention of it...

Does anyone have a source (Other than Ford) for the e-brake release cable? All I need is the little cable. The handle side barrel separated from the cable. Ford quoted me $147 for the assembly.

My "fix" is not strong enough to hold for long. Tied a shoestring thru the eyelet on the e-brake handle for now.

OR does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
Mike
97 standard Cab 4X4
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Look it up on google / ebay / amazon.

Here is one on E-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-F150-Parking-Brake-Release-Handle-5L3Z-2783-A-/251983787620?hash=item3aab677664&vxp=mtr
You could also go to a scrap yard.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtfixit
I searched and could not seem to find mention of it...

Does anyone have a source (Other than Ford) for the e-brake release cable? All I need is the little cable. The handle side barrel separated from the cable. Ford quoted me $147 for the assembly.

My "fix" is not strong enough to hold for long. Tied a shoestring thru the eyelet on the e-brake handle for now.

OR does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
Mike
97 standard Cab 4X4
Do you have a standard transmission? The reason I ask is I have an auto and have never used my e-brake. Don't even know if it works.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Originally Posted by jstockert
Do you have a standard transmission? The reason I ask is I have an auto and have never used my e-brake. Don't even know if it works.
Same here, hardly ever used it because when I did, it caused more problems than it was worth. I got rid of the entire system many many years ago. You would be surprised how much all that weights..it's heavy! perhaps between 10 and 20 pounds.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Same here, hardly ever used it because when I did, it caused more problems than it was worth. I got rid of the entire system many many years ago. You would be surprised how much all that weights..it's heavy! perhaps between 10 and 20 pounds.
That 10 to 20 pounds probably turns into 40hp. Right.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jstockert
That 10 to 20 pounds probably turns into 40hp. Right.
Right, you got it, well close....only if I hit the jon just before the butt dyno.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Right, you got it, well close....only if I hit the jon just before the butt dyno.
Hell after a good unload on the porcelain bus is good for 30hp on the butt dyno.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanx

Yeah...epay is an alternative...was hoping there was another "fix" out there. As for not using the e-brake...During my career (LEO 21yrs) I've responded to way too many "accidents" from folks who probably could have benefited from use of their "parking brake". An auto trans should NOT be used as a kickstand.

Happy Motorin',
Mike
Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Yeah...epay is an alternative...was hoping there was another "fix" out there. As for not using the e-brake...During my career (LEO 21yrs) I've responded to way too many "accidents" from folks who probably could have benefited from use of their "parking brake". An auto trans should NOT be used as a kickstand.

Happy Motorin',
Mike
I completely disagree, - in fact those folks who push that type of blame are looking to point the finger and that's the first thing that comes to their mind.
Surprised, - a person in your position would have fallen for that lol. For park to go out of a trans, -that would take some doing. A heavily designed chunk of metal (parking pawl)would have to break or key way would have to shear. What's more likely to happen is leaving the trans in drive relying solely upon the parking brake which IME. Or just forgetting to put the vehicle in park. That's definitely more of woman defect IME.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Happy Motorin',
Mike
Well Mike fork out the money and fix it. Quit bitching about what something cost if you have seen many accidents from people not using their e-brake. Quite frankly I really doubt your statement is true. If so you, who have seen many accidents from improper e-brake use, would fork out the money to fix without question.
Good Day
James
BTW I guess you probably get out of the shower to pee.

Quick Reply: e-brake release cable issue