Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4x4 switch does nothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 switch does nothing

Ok here goes nothing. I have a 97 F150 4.6L 4x4 XLT. When you turn the 4x4 switch it does nothing. Here's what I know.

When you start the vehicle, the 4x4 light comes on and then turns off so I know the bulbs aren't burnt out.
The solenoids aren't the issue, replaced with new ones and didn't do anything. Returned new Solenoids.
Took the switch off, Tested the 4 pin plug. pin 1 has voltage when dash lights are on. Pin 2,3,4 do not receive any voltage.

Tested all the fuses. Only fuse that is not receiving voltage is Fuse position 20, Which is the PCM,GEM,CTM fuse. Tested while off and on, no voltage whatsoever. From what I've read and viewed, the GEM on the back of the fusebox is the issue. Before I purchase this 120-350 dollar part, can anyone verify that this may be my issue? So frustrated right now.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Chin III
Ok here goes nothing. I have a 97 F150 4.6L 4x4 XLT. When you turn the 4x4 switch it does nothing. Here's what I know.

When you start the vehicle, the 4x4 light comes on and then turns off so I know the bulbs aren't burnt out.
The solenoids aren't the issue, replaced with new ones and didn't do anything. Returned new Solenoids.
Took the switch off, Tested the 4 pin plug. pin 1 has voltage when dash lights are on. Pin 2,3,4 do not receive any voltage.

Tested all the fuses. Only fuse that is not receiving voltage is Fuse position 20, Which is the PCM,GEM,CTM fuse. Tested while off and on, no voltage whatsoever. From what I've read and viewed, the GEM on the back of the fusebox is the issue. Before I purchase this 120-350 dollar part, can anyone verify that this may be my issue? So frustrated right now.
Go to a junkyard and pull a used one to test your theory. That seems like a valid conclusion.

Quick Reply: 4x4 switch does nothing