Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Water leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Question Water leak?

I recently bought a 05 super crew about 5 weeks a ago. Obviously it is used but very clean low miles anyways. I was installing an amp on the drivers side and noticed that under the door skid plates was moister, like water go in. I also notice on the othre side the same thing. Keep in mind when I noticed this it had rained hard a coulple days before. Just wondering if anyone has had a leak problem thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have a leak problem, I believe mine is coming from the thrid brake light. When I it rains hard, or I take it to a automatic washer, it pours in from the headliner, and down the back glass, and into the cab.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by al73mustang
I recently bought a 05 super crew about 5 weeks a ago. Obviously it is used but very clean low miles anyways. I was installing an amp on the drivers side and noticed that under the door skid plates was moister, like water go in. I also notice on the othre side the same thing. Keep in mind when I noticed this it had rained hard a coulple days before. Just wondering if anyone has had a leak problem thanks!
I'm having the same issue, I think it might be the same issue as this thread but I'm not sure. I'm going to have to take it in to Ford for them to take a look.

EDIT: More info. I just went out and looked at my truck. It's raining lightly right now and I noticed there's moisture on the inside of the third brake light lens. It's interesting that I'm only seeing water on the passenger side though ... and I don't notice any water running down the rear glass. I do park on an incline and have heard some water sloshing when I hit the brakes. As I drive the amount of water goes down so I imagine it's finding a way out in the front of the side rail??

Since it rains a lot here hopefully the local dealer has seen it before and knows the right fix for it

Last edited by nonsense; 01-07-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 PM

I've been told that there is a recall on the third brake light. I havnt taken mine in, I took off my light, dryer the gasket, and then cleaned all of the contact area. I then placed it back on there, and tighten it down, and made sure it was snug, and I havnt had another problem from it.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Mine leaks too or maybe not. I believe mine may be the air conditioner condensating inside due to a plug in the line. I have an 04 SuperCrew Lariat and am still troubleshooting that one. As for the guy with the leaking third light, I understand that has been an issue and I have fixed mine. I took out the light and the gasket was all bunched up in there. I straitened it out and have not had the issue since. At the worst, you just need a new gasket.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I took my third brake light off the other day to replace to bulb and did notice that the gasket had come undone. I am about to replace it and hopefully it will fix my problem. I really have not paid any attention to see if its still doing it, but I will monitor it after I replace the gasket. Thanks ill keep ya'll posted.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

I just bought my new 2009 F-150 XLT a week ago and already am driving a rental as it leaked yesterday and soaked my rear seats, carpet and headliner. It is in the Ford Service shop getting dried out and a new part ordered.
If this is an ongoing issue, is there a known class action suit agains Ford on this? It sounds like the start of a Lemon Law issue.

Quick Reply: Water leak?