Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A very odd sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A very odd sound

Hi guys I am new to forum, but not to fords, been ford guy my whole life and this problem I am having has me thinking transmission problem but I am looking for some answers.

This is what is going on, every time I drive the truck and put it in gear around 20k it starts to make a rattle, tin noise almost like a diesel, from the passenger side right behind the front wheel. If I let off the gas.. it stops, put in in neutral and rev the truck up... not a sound.
IF I put it in 4wd at 20k while it is making the noise, the noise instantly stops, take it out of 4wd and within 30 seconds it is back. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

Any help would be great.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your IWE solenoid is bad. Basicly your 4WD is trying to engage at the wrong time and on its own. It will tear up your hubs if you dont get it fixed. Its a simple fix and the dealer did it for me in less than an hour. You can do it yourself its not hard but my truck was in there already. IWE controls your vacumn on your hubs. if a new solenoid doesn't do the trick get your lines checked for a leak.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the advice!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 AM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nashbulldawg
sounds like your iwe solenoid is bad. Basicly your 4wd is trying to engage at the wrong time and on its own. It will tear up your hubs if you dont get it fixed. Its a simple fix and the dealer did it for me in less than an hour. You can do it yourself its not hard but my truck was in there already. Iwe controls your vacumn on your hubs. If a new solenoid doesn't do the trick get your lines checked for a leak.
hes right had the same problem on my truck.

Quick Reply: A very odd sound