Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission cooler install

I was ready to order a Long Tru-Cool trans cooler and a Hadan fan with a cold bypass device for our cold winters. However, looking at a location to install all these items under the truck and between the frame and the body under the passenger side, I see what looks like a cold weather by-pass from the factory next to the starter just a few feet from the trans. It looks like a large Zipo lighter with a snap ring at the bottom that holds in a round cylinder, with the in and out lines connected to it, just like a cold weather by-pass detail.
SO, is this one installed from the factory so that I don't need to install a new one with my trans cooler?
Thanks,
A56nomad.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you 66 that looked and didn't answer, I did some more research and found that that device is a cooler by-pass. It has a small orifice to allow a small amount to pass and then returns to the trans until the fluid reaches about 180 degrees, then it opens the valve and the hot trans fluid goes to the radiator and trans cooler, if equipped then returns to the trans.
SO, I don't need to purchase one with my trans cooler.
Thanks,
A56nomad
The following users liked this post:
chayes627 (10-06-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks for continuing to research and post the answer here. It will help others down the road.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler install