Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tapping at cold start please help 04 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping at cold start please help 04 5.4

1. hello i have 2004 supercrew 5.4 f150 with 170,000 miles, its been a great truck and still looks like brand new, and drives great. So i would love to keep her. in the mornings i get a tapping noise for a couple to 4 seconds, then it goes away. i was runnig a lucas additive in it and the noise did not seem to last as long when i was using it, well the last oil change i the place i went to did not have it available so i was unable to use it and did not put it in. and to answer your question b4 im asked i have used a ford oil filter and have seen no difference . the problem seemed to have started about a yearago or so when i got a oil change at every 3k to 4k miles is when i seem to get one. the place i went to shorted me 1.5 quaarts of oil, the noise at cold start is what prompted me to check the oil.

hey thanks in advance for your answer
Dominic Ferrara
Tampa Fl

Last edited by DOMINIC FERRARA; 01-07-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelleing error
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMINIC FERRARA
1. hello i have 2004 supercrew 5.4 f150 with 170,000 miles, its been a great truck and still looks like brand new, and drives great. So i would love to keep her. in the mornings i get a tapping noise for a couple to 4 seconds, then it goes away. i was runnig a lucas additive in it and the noise did not seem to last as long when i was using it, well the last oil change i the place i went to did not have it available so i was unable to use it and did not put it in. and to answer your question b4 im asked i have used a ford oil filter and have seen no difference . the problem seemed to have started about a yearago or so when i got a oil change at every 3k to 4k miles is when i seem to get one. the place i went to shorted me 1.5 quaarts of oil, the noise at cold start is what prompted me to check the oil.

hey thanks in advance for your answer
Dominic Ferrara
Tampa Fl
If you change your oil that regular they the inside of the engine should be clean. If it were me I would try putting in BG MOA with every oil change and not the Lucas. See how well that works for you.

Quick Reply: tapping at cold start please help 04 5.4