Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Spark plug change out

Changed my spark plugs on my 2007 5.4L 3V and now the truck runs really rough. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on? I double checked all connections and everything looks fine??? Please help.
sid1insac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida and Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Could one of the coils be the culprit? When removing the spark plug coil/wires from the plugs, it's possible you broke the inner connection between the coil pack and spark plug boot.
__________________
Give an answer, they learn for the day; suggest a search, they learn for a lifetime.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Incorrect gap on the plugs can also do this. Even pre-gapped plugs should be checked. I hate to say it, but you probably need to pull each one out and check it.
CrashTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Keeblerz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Tell me how you would go about regapping this kind of plug:
Click the image to open in full size.

Are you getting a CEL? Any codes? What brand of plugs did you use?

Last edited by Keeblerz28; 11-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Keeblerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Posttal
 
posttal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to posttal
Default

I'v seen one of these plugs get cracked from an improper socket..Did you hear a crunching or cracking noise when you tightened the plugs? Or damaged the insulation on the coil pack and now its shorting to ground?
Without the proper equipment to bring up a spark pattern or cylinder balance to guide you to the proper cylinder I think you might have to pull off all the coil packs and do a visual inspection and check the plugs for cracks.
I quess in theory you could disconnect an injector one at a time which would cause a miss COMBINED with the miss you have now.And in theory it would be less noticable when you get to the cylinder thats already missing..I would think.
Example..if right now your rough running is caused by a problem in..lets say #4 cylinder.If you pull the injector plug off cylinder 1 it would miss from 1 and 4..if you pull it off 2 it would miss from 2 and 4.But when you get to 4 all you would have is the miss you already have..it shouldn't get worse since its already missing.When you find that cylinder pull the pack and plug and do a fine tooth inspection.Also to prevent any addition damage you should pull the harness connector off and plug in a noide light..then start the truck and record the results,and then move to the next cylinder.Noide lights are cheap and prevent causing any addition problems that could be caused by a voltage spike.Although if you pull the harness connector off with the engine off and then start it there should be no voltage spike.By why take a chance.
__________________
Posttal AKA Ralph
Cleveland,Ohio
2006 F150 Lariat
http://www.lorileedesigns.com/files/...phsCorner.html
posttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida and Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttal View Post
I'v seen one of these plugs get cracked from an improper socket..Did you hear a crunching or cracking noise when you tightened the plugs? Or damaged the insulation on the coil pack and now its shorting to ground?
Without the proper equipment to bring up a spark pattern or cylinder balance to guide you to the proper cylinder I think you might have to pull off all the coil packs and do a visual inspection and check the plugs for cracks.
I quess in theory you could disconnect an injector one at a time which would cause a miss COMBINED with the miss you have now.And in theory it would be less noticable when you get to the cylinder thats already missing..I would think.
Example..if right now your rough running is caused by a problem in..lets say #4 cylinder.If you pull the injector plug off cylinder 1 it would miss from 1 and 4..if you pull it off 2 it would miss from 2 and 4.But when you get to 4 all you would have is the miss you already have..it shouldn't get worse since its already missing.When you find that cylinder pull the pack and plug and do a fine tooth inspection.Also to prevent any addition damage you should pull the harness connector off and plug in a noide light..then start the truck and record the results,and then move to the next cylinder.Noide lights are cheap and prevent causing any addition problems that could be caused by a voltage spike.Although if you pull the harness connector off with the engine off and then start it there should be no voltage spike.By why take a chance.
Excellent troubleshooting steps.
__________________
Give an answer, they learn for the day; suggest a search, they learn for a lifetime.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeblerz28 View Post
Tell me how you would go about regapping this kind of plug:
Click the image to open in full size.

Are you getting a CEL? Any codes? What brand of plugs did you use?
I'll admit, that would be hard to do! I honestly haven't seen these plugs so ::shrug::

I know that I took for granted that the gap was right when I changed the plugs on my Exploder and it wasn't happy about that.
CrashTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Keeblerz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTECH View Post
I'll admit, that would be hard to do! I honestly haven't seen these plugs so ::shrug::

I know that I took for granted that the gap was right when I changed the plugs on my Exploder and it wasn't happy about that.
Well FYI, thats what the plugs look like in our newer trucks
Keeblerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
runner_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Had the same problem with my truck after having the plugs changed, it ran terrible.It ended up the mechanic who put the plugs in ended up cracking one of the plugs when installing it and didn't realize it. Now the truck runs better the it ever has
runner_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Additcted to my truc
5 Year Member
 
TruckGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mansfield, MA
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TruckGuy24
Default

Also to add... the trucks are very very picky about plugs. You should really only be using MotorCraft. People have had to take off Champion's and Autolite's after a few miles because the truck runs like crap. Not saying that is your problem, but just something to consider
TruckGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spark Plug Change? f150cwcw 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 71 01-09-2012 09:59 PM
Spark plug change for 3v 5.4l 2004+ only? goracer Engine / Drivetrain Talk 3 09-28-2009 01:44 PM
$139.00 spark plug change!! lennon2009 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 37 06-28-2009 03:52 AM
spark plug change elestimato 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 4 06-26-2009 10:16 PM
Spark Plug Change term_paint 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 12 06-08-2007 12:11 PM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.