Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug change out

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change out

Changed my spark plugs on my 2007 5.4L 3V and now the truck runs really rough. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on? I double checked all connections and everything looks fine??? Please help.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Could one of the coils be the culprit? When removing the spark plug coil/wires from the plugs, it's possible you broke the inner connection between the coil pack and spark plug boot.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Incorrect gap on the plugs can also do this. Even pre-gapped plugs should be checked. I hate to say it, but you probably need to pull each one out and check it.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me how you would go about regapping this kind of plug:

Are you getting a CEL? Any codes? What brand of plugs did you use?

Last edited by Keeblerz28; 11-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Posttal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'v seen one of these plugs get cracked from an improper socket..Did you hear a crunching or cracking noise when you tightened the plugs? Or damaged the insulation on the coil pack and now its shorting to ground?
Without the proper equipment to bring up a spark pattern or cylinder balance to guide you to the proper cylinder I think you might have to pull off all the coil packs and do a visual inspection and check the plugs for cracks.
I quess in theory you could disconnect an injector one at a time which would cause a miss COMBINED with the miss you have now.And in theory it would be less noticable when you get to the cylinder thats already missing..I would think.
Example..if right now your rough running is caused by a problem in..lets say #4 cylinder.If you pull the injector plug off cylinder 1 it would miss from 1 and 4..if you pull it off 2 it would miss from 2 and 4.But when you get to 4 all you would have is the miss you already have..it shouldn't get worse since its already missing.When you find that cylinder pull the pack and plug and do a fine tooth inspection.Also to prevent any addition damage you should pull the harness connector off and plug in a noide light..then start the truck and record the results,and then move to the next cylinder.Noide lights are cheap and prevent causing any addition problems that could be caused by a voltage spike.Although if you pull the harness connector off with the engine off and then start it there should be no voltage spike.By why take a chance.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by posttal
I'v seen one of these plugs get cracked from an improper socket..Did you hear a crunching or cracking noise when you tightened the plugs? Or damaged the insulation on the coil pack and now its shorting to ground?
Without the proper equipment to bring up a spark pattern or cylinder balance to guide you to the proper cylinder I think you might have to pull off all the coil packs and do a visual inspection and check the plugs for cracks.
I quess in theory you could disconnect an injector one at a time which would cause a miss COMBINED with the miss you have now.And in theory it would be less noticable when you get to the cylinder thats already missing..I would think.
Example..if right now your rough running is caused by a problem in..lets say #4 cylinder.If you pull the injector plug off cylinder 1 it would miss from 1 and 4..if you pull it off 2 it would miss from 2 and 4.But when you get to 4 all you would have is the miss you already have..it shouldn't get worse since its already missing.When you find that cylinder pull the pack and plug and do a fine tooth inspection.Also to prevent any addition damage you should pull the harness connector off and plug in a noide light..then start the truck and record the results,and then move to the next cylinder.Noide lights are cheap and prevent causing any addition problems that could be caused by a voltage spike.Although if you pull the harness connector off with the engine off and then start it there should be no voltage spike.By why take a chance.
Excellent troubleshooting steps.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeblerz28
Tell me how you would go about regapping this kind of plug:

Are you getting a CEL? Any codes? What brand of plugs did you use?
I'll admit, that would be hard to do! I honestly haven't seen these plugs so ::shrug::

I know that I took for granted that the gap was right when I changed the plugs on my Exploder and it wasn't happy about that.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
I'll admit, that would be hard to do! I honestly haven't seen these plugs so ::shrug::

I know that I took for granted that the gap was right when I changed the plugs on my Exploder and it wasn't happy about that.
Well FYI, thats what the plugs look like in our newer trucks
Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem with my truck after having the plugs changed, it ran terrible.It ended up the mechanic who put the plugs in ended up cracking one of the plugs when installing it and didn't realize it. Now the truck runs better the it ever has
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Additcted to my truc

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Also to add... the trucks are very very picky about plugs. You should really only be using MotorCraft. People have had to take off Champion's and Autolite's after a few miles because the truck runs like crap. Not saying that is your problem, but just something to consider

Quick Reply: Spark plug change out