Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

reusing rack boots when replacin tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reusing rack boots when replacin tie rods?

I'm getting an order together to pretty much replace all the front suspension in my 04 FX4. Several ball joints are shot, and the tie rods have a lot of play in them, and the struts have seen better days and need to be rebuilt.

One thing I can't seem to find on rockauto are replacement steering rack boots for the tie rods. Well, there is one ACDelco part, but it's only for the left side.

The ones on the truck don't have any obvious cracks or splits, but since I have to take them off I'd just as soon put on new ones.

I'm not sure what to do. Can/Should I reuse the ones on the truck? Does anyone know of bellows still being made?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:47 AM
jtb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this on mine as part of big maintenance job. 2005 at 141k, the boots were in fine shape and I re-used them. If you want new ones, these may be what you are looking for:

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-150...part_name=boot

Old 08-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jtb
Just did this on mine as part of big maintenance job. 2005 at 141k, the boots were in fine shape and I re-used them. If you want new ones, these may be what you are looking for:

Ahhhh I completely forgot to check Tasca. thanks. It looks like the L and R sides are identical, but Rockauto lists the only one they have as being for L. Guess I'll spend the big money on FoMoCo ones.

Did you just zip tie the old ones back on? I know factory uses metal bands, but every replacement I've used just came with plastic zip ties.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM
jtb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. I used one large zip tie for each one. I got 18" zip ties.....but they were a bit long as I recall. Maybe 12" would work. I figured it was better to be too long and have to cut it short.

It fit decently into the indentation around where the original metal clamp went. Zip tying these seems to be an accepted and trouble free method for that.

But....double check the dealer. I seem to recall that those boots may have come with new clamps as well.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 PM

thanks, I ordered the boots. If they don't come with new metal bands, I'll just zip tie them on. I have plenty of long zip ties, and the FoMoCo metal bands are stupid expensive. It looks like I can reuse the smaller ones, since they're just compression clamps that you can take off with pliers.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LutzNutz
thanks, I ordered the boots. If they don't come with new metal bands, I'll just zip tie them on. I have plenty of long zip ties, and the FoMoCo metal bands are stupid expensive. It looks like I can reuse the smaller ones, since they're just compression clamps that you can take off with pliers.

Correct. If I were going to use zip ties, I'd find the high quality ones that have the piece of metal that engages the "teeth". That was you can tighten like crazy and not have to worry about breaking it.

Quick Reply: reusing rack boots when replacin tie rods?