Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rattle noise 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle noise 4wd

i have 2005 4x4 f150 and i been having this loud rattling/draging noise, it only does it when i first start it up and put it in drive or reverse, it sounds like its coming from the front left. after a good 20 seconds it goes away its not a grinding noise it sounds like it would be a loose exhaust shield but its not, i have checked underneath a bunch of times and can not find anything, also the other day it was making a loud grinding noise from the same area and i switched it to 4wd and back to 2 wheel and it went away as soon as i switched it to 4wd so im almost positive it has something to do with the 4wd just not sure what, i did a fair amount of searching online just seeing if anyone could pin point what it would be thanks.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem. I suspect it is a vacuum leak allowing the 4wd hubs to partially engage. Mine will grind when going around a corner or a slight bump.

There is a solenoid on the firewall passenger side behind the battery. This solenoid when turned off blocks the vacuum from reaching the hubs and then they engage. If you unplug the power connector from the solenoid it will engage the hubs but not engage the 4wd in the transfer case.

If your problem goes away then u can know for sure that it is a vacuum leak or some other hub problem. Be aware that your hubs are now engaged and will affect gas mileage and increase wear.

I have been told that the vacuum leak can be either in the hubs or in the line itself. Since I haven't had the hubs themselves out I cannot be sure one way or the other on this.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

odds are that it is your iwe's have gone bad. dirt and water get in them when the vacuum vents every time you shut the truck off and kills the seals just enough not to hold them off. I had this and tried to find a leak with no luck and had to replace them and problem solved
Old 06-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Replace IWE solenoid with updated rain guard one, if it doesnt work.. you need atleast 1 if no two IWE acutators, (rockauto is your friend here). Had to replace mine if you have strut spacers its a pain in the ***... if you sont its pretty easy 1auto or whatever on youtube has a great video
Old 06-15-2015, 03:45 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Default rattle noise 4wd

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/

Quick Reply: rattle noise 4wd