Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Premium Gas???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Gas???

hey guys,

so santa is supposed to be bringing me a programmer for my truck this year for christmas. im getting the diablsport predator, and was just wondering if it was gonna be alright to run a higher grade gas in my truck rather than 87. i know some truck and vehicles you can mess up the engine/computer with running gas other than what is recommended. just curious, thanks for the help

CountryBoy13
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it wont hurt it but if the truck isnt programmed for premium fuel, its a waste of money to run more expensive gas
Old 12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

x2
only run it when your program tells you to run that type of fuel
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM

hey, i work in the gas and oil business, a higher grade gas that is commercialy sold at the pump(regular or super) wich is usualy 87 and 92 and the really good stuff is 94, this well never hurt ur engine, its the opposite, super runs cleaner than reg, but u can run ur engine on reg its hole life and never see the difference, unless that is u run a programmer, reg can cause detonation wich is heard as pinging, this is dangerous,and bad for the engine, the gas is detonating before the engine is ready for the explosion, now another advantage is have u ever seen the newer vehicles gas cap some say e10 e20 and e85/gasoline the e is ethanol, gas companies have started using this stuff in reg gas(not the super) in engines that arent tunned for this stuff its well get alotless mileage per gallon, and ethanol burns 30% leaner, thats why the dont put it in super,it well kill small engines, usually 2 stroke engines, now ethanol is not always in the gas only when the market gets flooded and the price goes down lower than the gas itself this is why sometimes we fell like we got worse gas mileage on a specific tank of gas, hope i clarified a little for u,
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask the tuner manufacturer if the 87 octane tune is for 87 octane with or without ethanol. Stp brought that point out. You need to know before you buy, especially if you plan on running a canned tune.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Save your money and run a performance tune designed for 87 octane. I can't justify paying 30 cent's more per gallon for premium.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by stp77
hey, i work in the gas and oil business, a higher grade gas that is commercialy sold at the pump(regular or super) wich is usualy 87 and 92 and the really good stuff is 94, this well never hurt ur engine, its the opposite, super runs cleaner than reg, but u can run ur engine on reg its hole life and never see the difference, unless that is u run a programmer, reg can cause detonation wich is heard as pinging, this is dangerous,and bad for the engine, the gas is detonating before the engine is ready for the explosion, now another advantage is have u ever seen the newer vehicles gas cap some say e10 e20 and e85/gasoline the e is ethanol, gas companies have started using this stuff in reg gas(not the super) in engines that arent tunned for this stuff its well get alotless mileage per gallon, and ethanol burns 30% leaner, thats why the dont put it in super,it well kill small engines, usually 2 stroke engines, now ethanol is not always in the gas only when the market gets flooded and the price goes down lower than the gas itself this is why sometimes we fell like we got worse gas mileage on a specific tank of gas, hope i clarified a little for u,
thanks alot, really helped out

Quick Reply: Premium Gas???