Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

plowing with f150s

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plowing with f150s

for the last year or so i have been kinda looking at plows and what not. Tryin to make a little extra cash during storms in the winter. I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions for plows on a screw f150 4x4. I had my eye on some sno-way stuff..nothing too big and hoping it wouldnt put too much hurt on the truck.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, coming from someone who used to plow for money. I wouldnt put a plow on a truck that was my DD. Plowing is pretty hard on a vehicle. Its hard on steering, driveline and transmissions. F150s can be set up for a plow and function fairly well for "personal use" but when you start trying to make money, the rules change, especially if you plan to take it as far as having plowing contracts and so forth. It may seem like good money but when you figure in the added maintenance and repairs, its not as lucrative as you would think. For what you want it for, I would get one if YOU need one but dont get one with hopes of making money with it. I had an F350 dumptruck with a 9'2" V plow, very nice plow setup and a good platform but it was a built up 350 that wasnt my DD.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a "plow package" F150, and if you don't have 7 lug wheels, there is no way you are plow prepped, which is a whole bunch of packages and parts that really beef up the truck.... to a point.

I do my own driveway, my moms, and a couple of friends.

If I blow my truck up, Ford still has to fix it because it was plow prep from the factory, delivered to an installer, and then to the dealer.

There is no way in hell I would plow with this truck for money, you can't get enough of a blade on it, even with the heavy frame, heavy shocks/springs, heavy everything to make it worthwhile. Even with the plow package, the plow and gear has to be less than 750 pounds IIRC.

Find at minimum a f250 if you want to plow.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Referring back to one of your questions. Snoway is a good plow. If I recall correctly they are light weight, which is good for your truck, and use hydraulic down pressure, which is good for backdragging. Most plows are gravity down so they depend on weight to get a clean backdrag.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the feed back guys. i havent really made my mind up yet...but all depends on the cost and how much i have saved up. anyone know a rough cost of snoway plows? snoway seems to be the best bet for my needs. i just wanna earn a little bit a cash while im back from school on break. thanks guys
Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive seen a few used ones for '04+ F150's for $2500 or less.

Im considering eventually getting a plow for my '06.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dderaska
thanks for the feed back guys. i havent really made my mind up yet...but all depends on the cost and how much i have saved up. anyone know a rough cost of snoway plows? snoway seems to be the best bet for my needs. i just wanna earn a little bit a cash while im back from school on break. thanks guys
For a new one, I'd guess $4000-$5000 depending on what size, material and accessories you get.
About how long do you think it'll take you to make that cash back from your investment?
If you buy used, it just depends on its age and condition. Usually anything under $2500 will be a piece of crap that will require new cylinders, pump, board, electrical or hoses.

Just my opinion but if I were getting back into the plow business, the last thing I would do is put one on my 06 F150. I would search the ads for an older truck in the $5000 range that already has a working plow hanging on it.

Last edited by ray h; 12-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 05 screw with a meyers plow. I have had 3 trucks (2500 silvardo, 1500 ram with plows and this is by far the best one. I have heard it all, dont plow with a 150 or anything like that. Blah, go easy on your truck and it will be fine. (dont ram up snow piles, watch curbs, drop offs, dont drive like an a-hole. Would get the plow springs or aleast a set Timbrens. Also get a good trans cooler, and/or larger trans pan. A good set of shocks wouldnt hurt either. BTW i have the plow springs and they are a rough ride the other 8 months out of the year. i will be looking into a different spring rate after the season. Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2009, 06:29 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ray h
Just my opinion but if I were getting back into the plow business, the last thing I would do is put one on my 06 F150. I would search the ads for an older truck in the $5000 range that already has a working plow hanging on it.
I can only afford one truck and it makes no sense to me to get another one just for plowing. Id only be plowing a few residential driveways if I got a plow.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PJB
I can only afford one truck and it makes no sense to me to get another one just for plowing. Id only be plowing a few residential driveways if I got a plow.
I can understand that. When it became unfeasable to keep a plow truck I quit plowing. I now use a Kubota tractor to plow my drive and parts of the road, when needed.
Thats why I said "If I" were getting back into plowing.

Quick Reply: plowing with f150s