Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Not your normal power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not your normal power window problems

Ok, I am stumped. I have read and watched so many window videos, I should be able to build one in my sleep, but I am lost. Please help a guy out!

What Happened
My passenger side window will only ROLL DOWN(Not UP) from the passenger side switch. There is no control from the driverside side in either direction. All other windows work 100% normal.

What I have done since..
-Checked the fuse/breaker.. NO CHANGE
-I replaced the DRIVERS SIDE switch module(4 switches/Window Lockout).. NO CHANGE.
-I metered out the PASSENGERS SIDE switch (Lordco didnt have any in stock. On order.)and it seems to be functioning normally. It makes continuity between the correct pins when the switch is toggled.
-I took the connector off the motor itself and it is getting Voltage, but it simply wont wind up when wired normally.

What confuses me
-When I SWITCHED the 2 leads coming off the motor, the PASSENGER SIDE switch will now only make the window go UP.

Does anyone have any ideas? The motor seems fine, the drivers side switch module is fine, the passenger side seem fine but I cant double check until tomorrow when I get the new switch.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Professional Amateur

you might have a crack in the shielding in one of the wires for the passenger side. We had a 97 explorer that the window would intermittently work then it would stop working all together. after replacing all the switches once or twice my dad traced the wires for a good 2 or 3 hours and found a crack in the shielding that caused it to short. he shrink wrapped the wire and it never had the issue again
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM

If there is a short in the wiring, where would it be? I would think it would blow a fuse, wouldnt it?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Have a test light? This is where a Power Probe shines because you can induce voltage to the motor.

Probe one of the wires going to the motor. You should have power when hitting either up or down and none when hitting the other direction. Same for the next wire, but opposite. If you have power on one wire, but not the other (all the switch does is move voltage back and fourth to reverse the motor.) Then you have a bad window motor; the voltage can travel one way and not the other, which is why the motor goes down buy not up. To confirm this, use jumper wires to "switch" the wires are the motor and see what happens. If the motor is bad then nothing should happen, if it does go up then you have switch issues.

It sounds like you may have two issues. If the passenger switch is working correctly, then the drivers switch should have the same affect as the passenger... since its not, you may have a broken wire, typically in the door jam loom.

I hope I explained that okay, I can check these things all day long but its harder for me to explain them.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Problem solved 100%! 1 Wire in the driver side wire loom was split torn into 2 pieces and 1 wire was holding on by a thread. I taped them together and everything worked like new. I will butt splice and heat shrink them tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Case closed!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had the exact same problem, my front passenger window would go up but not down. I replaced the whole motor and regulator assembly only to find the same problem. It was a broken ground wire in the drivers side door jam. I actually soldered a butt connector in between the broken wire then used heat shrink. I would recommend soldering cuz down the road the crimp connector will pull apart again.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jessekf
Problem solved 100%! 1 Wire in the driver side wire loom was split torn into 2 pieces and 1 wire was holding on by a thread. I taped them together and everything worked like new. I will butt splice and heat shrink them tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Case closed!

I had the same problem on my s crew...figured it out after replacing passenger window motor and all.........guess this is common problem.

Quick Reply: Not your normal power window problems