Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help/advice on driving issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice on driving issue

Truck is an 04 new body style 5.4 XLT 2 wheel drive extended cab. Has aftermarket 20in. rims and no other modifications. Has 83K at the moment. Here recently, probably around august it has started to make this vibrating sensation while driving. Kind of hard to explain, when I drive in a straight line from a complete stop, it doesn't do it at all, i can feel a slight jerk (almost like a shift of weight) when i start from a complete stop, but no vibrations. However when I accelerate either left or right from a complete stop, there is a significant vibrating feeling that seems to be felt in the entire cab, hard to pin point just one area it is coming from.

This vibration is somewhat of a lower frequency vibration also, almost feels like your going over speed bumps on a highway when approaching a stop sign. It only does this when i start from a complete stop, and only does it when the truck has been running and driving for a period of time, usually around a half hour to an hour or so of drive time, if its pretty cold outside, or has not been driven for a few hours it does not do this. No idea as to what this could possibly be, have gotten underneath the truck and checked driveshaft...driveshaft is not loose, U joints are good. Oh ya, this only happens at lower speeds as well, if i am going....probably about 25-30 or faster there isn't any of these symptoms, or perhaps they are there but I am unable to feel them because of the higher speed? Truck has not been off roaded or mis treated, no racing or dumb driving, pushed the pedal to the floor a few times but nothing outrageous. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I think your issue is somewhere in the front suspension. I would just take it to an alignment/suspension shop. I feel that a bushing or ball joint has gone bad in the front suspension. Also could be in the steering linkage. If you are handy you could do this work yourself. It is not very hard, but sometimes it is just easier to take it to a shop. Not worth the hassle. If you do change certain parts out it would need an alignment anyways. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need help/advice on driving issue