Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Loose Front Wheel. Hub or CV Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose Front Wheel. Hub or CV Shaft?

Need some advice on what to do next on my 2005 F-150 Supercab FX4. Had an issue with my drivers front brake dragging to the point it got pretty hot. I did some research and took the calipers and pads off. Didn't see anything out of the norm on the caliper itself but noticed the pads weren't wearing evenly. I decided to change the calipers/pads and turned the rotors. After I had everything swapped, bled and wheel back on I noticed that the wheel assembly had some play in it. Took it back off to ensure I didn't miss something and realized the hub itself had play in it. I am fairly confident that that was probably the root of my original issue and I just wasted my money on new calipers. My question is, how do I tell if that play is from the hub or the CV shaft joint behind the hub? I have never heard any noise coming from the bearing and the CV shaft boots are intact. Anything I can do to isolate one or the other or has anyone else seen this issue? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBigRed512
Need some advice on what to do next on my 2005 F-150 Supercab FX4. Had an issue with my drivers front brake dragging to the point it got pretty hot. I did some research and took the calipers and pads off. Didn't see anything out of the norm on the caliper itself but noticed the pads weren't wearing evenly. I decided to change the calipers/pads and turned the rotors. After I had everything swapped, bled and wheel back on I noticed that the wheel assembly had some play in it. Took it back off to ensure I didn't miss something and realized the hub itself had play in it. I am fairly confident that that was probably the root of my original issue and I just wasted my money on new calipers. My question is, how do I tell if that play is from the hub or the CV shaft joint behind the hub? I have never heard any noise coming from the bearing and the CV shaft boots are intact. Anything I can do to isolate one or the other or has anyone else seen this issue? Thanks for the help.
CV shaft wont have any play, if you can feeel the play in the hub, using up and down motion, and it's not in the tie rods then replace the hub assembly, when cv axles go bad they will click on turns and what not.. they dont form play as all they do is sit inside the hub, and the cv shaft doesn't spin unless it's in 4wd so it hardly gets use

just think of the caliper/pads as preventive maintenance cause calipers are known to go bad on theses trucks.. i've had to replace both fronts due to them being locked up
The following 2 users liked this post by grss429:
GoBigRed512 (05-10-2016), tcruz0004 (06-04-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the response. I have a new Moog brand hub assembly on order. Should be back on the road by Friday. Another question, does anyone have a part number for the dust/heat shield that is mounted behind the rotor? I have a feeling that will be toast when I take it off and can't see to locate it online anywhere.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBigRed512
Thanks for the response. I have a new Moog brand hub assembly on order. Should be back on the road by Friday. Another question, does anyone have a part number for the dust/heat shield that is mounted behind the rotor? I have a feeling that will be toast when I take it off and can't see to locate it online anywhere.
Driver's side: 4L3Z2K005BA
Passenger side: 4L3Z2K004BA
Old 05-16-2016, 12:54 PM

The new hub assembly fixed my issue. The old one was shot, looks like water got into the hub at one point as the face of the mating surface had a ton of corrosion. I was able to take it off with a die grinder. Didn't end up having to take off the heat/dust shield so that was a plus. Overall it was a fairly simple task if anyone ever needs to do it. Thanks for the help diagnosing my issue.
The following users liked this post:
tcruz0004 (06-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Loose Front Wheel. Hub or CV Shaft?