Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Let's talk phasers....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk phasers....

I have a 05 f 150 w/a5.4 with 53000 on it. It was owned by my late grandfather since 06 and now my wife drives it. It runs great had been well maintained since he had owned it, but I have a few concerns. I have changed the plugs on a 5.4 before so I am prepared for that but what about the phasers? How long do I have before I need to do someone about them? Is there a kit that solves the whole problem or do I go back with oe parts and wait for them to go out again? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

My passenger side has slack in the chain, Cam phasers clack like crazy, and she's still trucking for now! If yours is just injector sound and no tack tack tack then leave it alone until you need to touch it.

You can go to Livernois's site and get the lockout kit + tuner for 700 if they are not broken tho.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

It's really just a roll of the dice as to if or when the phasers go. If they're fine now, then don't worry too much about it. If you want to be proactive, then get the lock out kit that MHOWELL34 mentioned.
That being said, they go bad for a reason. Normally it's because one or both of the timing chain tensioner gaskets fail, causing oil pressure to drop. When the tensioners fail, the chains get loose. The bad part about this is that the chain guides are plastic and will break apart. The broken plastic has a tendency to clog the oil pump pickup screen, restricting oil flow throughout the engine.
I guess the moral is that if you lock out the phasers, pay attention to any kind of rattle you hear at start up. Like MHOWELL34 said, if all you hear is the injector ticking, don't even worry about it.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Change the oil regularly, like every 5-6000 miles and use the recommended 5w-20 semi-synthetic oil and you'll probably never have a problem. In my opinion, the lockouts are not a good solution because they will cost you gas mileage and part of your torque curve. With proper maintenance the 5.4 will go well into triple digits before it needs chains, guides and phasers. Its a good engine. When replacement time comes, buy genuine Ford parts. The Dorman replacements are failure prone.
Edit: I forgot about the plastic guides. From what I have been told you can use 99 model guides , which are all metal, in the later engines. I haven't personally followed up on this so I don't know if its gospel or not. If its true, I'll be doing this on mine when the time comes.

Last edited by PerryB; 10-06-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

When yours starts sounding like mine, Then you worry about it lol. I don't go far and i got guages so i keep an eye on my pressure readings. If it ever dips below its normally hot day ~20 pounds i'm stopping cutting it off, and getting pulled home to crack it open.

This was a cold start so ignore that whining sound.. Usually doesn't do that. But this is what broken phasers sound like for sure. Skip to 50 seconds for the rattle

Also i change every 3k miles, She uses a little so keep an eye on it! 5.4's like to use (but really burn) a little. Up to a quart low every 3k is normal according to ford. LOL Use the Motorcraft stock filter only.

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 10-06-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Let's talk phasers....