Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leather Steering Wheel Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Leather Steering Wheel Cover Removal

the leather in my steering wheel is worn, it has a hole in it. I'm not a big fan of the big covers, I'm aware of the ones you can sew on, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever just taken the leather off? is it just like a non leather wrapped wheel underneath?
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a Wheelskins cover on my 2004 which has the light tan color I believe was named sand. I went to their site to search for F150 specifics and color matched based on their choices. It is so spot on in color it looks entirely factory. I am very pleased with how it went on. There are a couple YouTube videos about how to install and defintely helped me grasp the concept. If I ever have to do one again I will do the second better by going slow and carefully cinching up the tightness of the sinew thread. Pay close attention to the pattern when you go by the spokes not to reverse your thread pattern -which I did in one section and had to rework it. As most things go, prep your old wheel first to make sure there aren't imperfections underneath which will show through. Wheelskins covers are great quality.

Now as an alternative you might not need to recover if it is just worn and color has gone bad. I bought a jaguar and researched the leather steering wheel. There are a couple videos on refinishing leather steering wheels and re dyeing it. My F150 wheel just had discoloration on 12 o'clock position but otherwise great. I could have bought the color match dye and refinished mine, which is what I am doing to the Jaguar wheel. Here is that YouTube link
Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 AM
F150 Forum

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nugget68
I'm just curious if anyone has ever just taken the leather off? is it just like a non leather wrapped wheel underneath?
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Not a good idea at all! The wheel will be noticeably thinner, there will be glue residues and the surface of the wheel rim will be either rough thus unpleasant to hold or too smooth and slippery for safe and comfortable driving.

How about a custom leather cover to replace your worn and torn one?

Example below:

Please let me know what you think

Take care

Jack
RedlineGoods Team

Quick Reply: Leather Steering Wheel Cover Removal