Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

how to replace driver's door handle? 05 Lariat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to replace driver's door handle? 05 Lariat.

My keypad doesn't work on my driver's door 05 Lariat Screw. So I'm looking for a replacement right now, not to sure if I should tear into it before i get a replacement part... anyhow, what problems should i expect, is it a quick job, is it a hard to reach job, is there 2 nuts holding the handle on? how much time would you allow for a swap out?

I really don't think it will be a loose connector because it's only 1 button that doesn't work. however I might open it up and do a quick check over BEFORE getting the new part, just incase it is a simple fix. ( but not if it will be a huge job to get at the door handle)

Thanks!
john
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done this on a '97 Lincoln, its not hard to do, just remove the door panel with the window up and you should be able to see what you need to do from there. Shouldn't take more then an hour to swap the old with the new. I think 2 bolts held the key pad onto the door handle on the Lincoln and there was the plug on the back of the key pad. Its not hard at all. Good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced the door handles on my old 2006 XLT and all I can say is that the driver's side door is a big PITA. Definitely plan on a couple of hours unless you have some small hands. Take your time and don't get frustrated.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I replaced the door handles on my old 2006 XLT and all I can say is that the driver's side door is a big PITA. Definitely plan on a couple of hours unless you have some small hands. Take your time and don't get frustrated.
Did you do this with the door closed? Lol, jk. Not sure why it took you a couple of hours. Look, all you have to do is follow these steps. I just added the keypad to my 06 XLT.

1. Remove inner door trim panel. (2 screws @ bottom, 2 behind handle, 1 under window control pad).

Not sure the exact order of things but these need to be done to remove the handle.

2. Locate the 2 rubber caps on the inside of the door, where the Truck Label is. Remove the top to access the 1 nut and remove (can't remember size) (see GREEN arrow for bolt location on handle).

3. There are 2 (I think) bolts holding the handle on which need to be accessed through the inner trim panel you removed. You'll need to peel back the plastic lining. GO SLOW! Peel the black apoxy up with it if you can, but try not to tear it is important. Bolt location = RED arrows

4. The lock is removed by releasing the metal retaining pin (see BLUE arrow).

Its been a while but I think thats everything. If i let something out, please add it in. I would give yourself an hr if everything made sense, 2 if its fuzzy still. Good luck, and feel free to ask away. I take my truck apart every weekend!
Attached Thumbnails how to replace driver's door handle? 05 Lariat.-handle-back.jpg   how to replace driver's door handle? 05 Lariat.-handle-side.jpg  

Quick Reply: how to replace driver's door handle? 05 Lariat.