Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

High Mileage F-150's / Bad Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage F-150's / Bad Cats?

I have a 2007 F150 Lariat crew cab 4X2, 5.4 with 280K miles on it. It was running great until last weekend when the check engine light came on and lost power. Code says bad cat, reset code and seamed to be running fine again.

Light came on again today when I drove from LA to Yuma, AZ then to San Diego and back to LA. You have to climb from sea level to over 4000 feet and going up hills it would slow to 35 mph. If I it kicked down and rev'd to 4K RPM it would shudder and buck like the motor was ready to fall out!

Anyway, I nursed it home and went to Minikie (SP?) to have cats replaced. They told me they can't get replacement cats in CA! CA is a beautiful place but it is very messed up! The guy told me he knew someone that brought their truck to a dealer and it cost $4K to replace the cats!

I'll check around tomorrow but that seams crazy. Has anyone put aftermarket high flow cats on a 2007?

Also, at almost 300K miles I wonder how long the truck will go. It's in really great shape and was running smooth with plenty of power before this happened. Anybody else have high mileage trucks? I wonder who has the highest miles?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

If you're looking just for catalytic converters check out Random Technology. I think Magnaflow also makes high flow cats but I seen their quality and it sucks.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In Cali, you need OEM cats. You cannot modify your exhaust at all or you will fail emmissions tests. Cali is the most strict on anything emmissions related.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, dealer quoted $2350 to replace cats!

Decided to cut them open and gut them. Cut off heat shields (won't need them any more) and marked the opening. Used my cut off tool and mini sawzall to cut open flap.

Passenger side was toast, all broken up. Cleaned it out and welded up flap.

Driver's side was not bad but gutted it anyway. Welded it back up and went for a test drive.

Holly crap! The truck hauls butt now. It has a Flowmaster muffler so it is a little loud. Not bad from inside truck though. I'll see how it is on the freeway.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kanga2311
In Cali, you need OEM cats. You cannot modify your exhaust at all or you will fail emmissions tests. Cali is the most strict on anything emmissions related.
Damn, it's like you can't even fart while riding a bicycle!

Originally Posted by Spork
Well, dealer quoted $2350 to replace cats!

Decided to cut them open and gut them. Cut off heat shields (won't need them any more) and marked the opening. Used my cut off tool and mini sawzall to cut open flap.

Passenger side was toast, all broken up. Cleaned it out and welded up flap.

Driver's side was not bad but gutted it anyway. Welded it back up and went for a test drive.

Holly crap! The truck hauls butt now. It has a Flowmaster muffler so it is a little loud. Not bad from inside truck though. I'll see how it is on the freeway.
Must sound real mean!

Quick Reply: High Mileage F-150's / Bad Cats?