Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help 2004 Screw 5.4l S!!!KS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help 2004 Screw 5.4l S!!!KS

Does anyone know of a shop in the DFW, Tx area that KNOWS how to work on a 5.4l?? I'm a Ford guy but my 2004 5.4l sucks! About 3 yrs ago I spent $5K on repairs because the motor would hardly (and I mean hardly) run. My work, a repair shop, & a Ford dealer w a Ford engineer couldn't fix it. MAF sensor, throttle body, air temp sensor, 8 plugs (pulled heads), new computer, & intake manifold. The manifold was melted around the injector holes on the inside of the passenger bank. It appears the cats were melted and clogged the exhaust (exhaust shop found this out). But how? I've put an SCT programmer on it (3 reg tunes, 3 custom) and it DETONATES ALL THE TIME. From 1200-3000 rpm. Above 3000 I can't tell. 4th gear is the worst. I run in 3rd most of the time going down the hiway 60-70mph and sometimes in 2nd just so the motor doesn't detonate. I've added headers & true dual exhaust. Ohh and at 22 mph during a light throttle, the throttle will just cut itself. If I'm at anything above a light throttle its fine. This doesn't happen in first and second gear.
I need someone that knows the 5.4l otherwise I'm considering to find out how long the motor will last in the driveway with the throttle pinned.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f150madman
Does anyone know of a shop in the DFW, Tx area that KNOWS how to work on a 5.4l?? I'm a Ford guy but my 2004 5.4l sucks! About 3 yrs ago I spent $5K on repairs because the motor would hardly (and I mean hardly) run. My work, a repair shop, & a Ford dealer w a Ford engineer couldn't fix it. MAF sensor, throttle body, air temp sensor, 8 plugs (pulled heads), new computer, & intake manifold. The manifold was melted around the injector holes on the inside of the passenger bank. It appears the cats were melted and clogged the exhaust (exhaust shop found this out). But how? I've put an SCT programmer on it (3 reg tunes, 3 custom) and it DETONATES ALL THE TIME. From 1200-3000 rpm. Above 3000 I can't tell. 4th gear is the worst. I run in 3rd most of the time going down the hiway 60-70mph and sometimes in 2nd just so the motor doesn't detonate. I've added headers & true dual exhaust. Ohh and at 22 mph during a light throttle, the throttle will just cut itself. If I'm at anything above a light throttle its fine. This doesn't happen in first and second gear.
I need someone that knows the 5.4l otherwise I'm considering to find out how long the motor will last in the driveway with the throttle pinned.
Perhaps I am wrong or I missed something, but sounds like a bad tune with poor timing and fuel mixture. Reflash the truck to stock to see if that clears it up.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried all 4 canned tunes, all 4 custom tunes, and the stock tune. Nothing seems to work.
I am wondering if I have a sever vacuum leak. That's about all I can come up with.

Quick Reply: Help 2004 Screw 5.4l S!!!KS