Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Finally Doing The Console Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Finally Doing The Console Swap!

Just wanted to start a thread to post the details of swapping my column shift and jump seat to a full flow through console with shifter.

Just ordered my console on eBay, complete with mounting hardware, brackets and shift assembly, working on getting the rest all ordered and ready before I dive in.

I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress!

Big thanks to Tailrace for all the help to get me started!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 AM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

im just curious why do you want to swap?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 AM

Honestly, nothing more than aesthetics and the distaste for the jump seat.
I wanted that so bad in an F150, but the deal on the truck I got was just too much to pass up. I think it looks great with one, and I like the feel of shifting from the floor.
Additional storage is also a plus.

Personal preference is my best answer I guess lol.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not an XLT console instead of the jump seat? Sounds like it would accomplish all your desires other than shifting from floor at a 1/8 the work and a 1/10 the cost. To swap to the flow through you will have to change the dash carrier, hvac ducting, wiring harnesses, steering column covers etc etc. your best bet if you have to have a flow thru would be a donor vehicle. Piece by piece will cost a fortune even from eBay!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM

Flow through consoles actually go for less on ebay than XLT consoles. I don't plan on rerouting the HVAC ducting, actually I'm just going to get a solid black cover for the back of the console to avoid that situation.
Wiring is actually quite easy, just 5 wires to the console.
The dash connection will be custom built and cost me less than $20 in all, I'm not changing the whole dash like some have.
Steering column covers will cost me roughly $30 and I can turn around and sell the old ones to cover that.

I don't mind the work to be honest. I've studied diagrams, mounting points and everything, and I love projects like this, and it shouldn't cost me much more than an XLT console at all.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 AM

I know it may seem rather... crazy for something that's just personal preference, but I've just always wanted to do it I guess. One of those things I've always wanted I guess.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is why I changed to the jump seat. But to each his own.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv...Dmv-verizon-us
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wyoming
I know it may seem rather... crazy for something that's just personal preference, but I've just always wanted to do it I guess. One of those things I've always wanted I guess.
Nothing crazy about it. Ever since I leased my 06 FX4 with the flow through console and the floor shifter I was in love with the setup. When it was time to return the lease I got a real good deal on an 07 XLT and the biggest thing I missed was the console and shifter, and I absolutely hated the jumpseat and the worthless console that was attached to it. After doing some research, a little bit of my spare time, and with just under $400 my XLT now has the flow through console with the floor shifter. And I couldn't be happier. To me it's just more comfortable, besides looking waaaay better, not to mention the satisfaction of doing the entire project with my son. Since then I've helped a few others with theirs, and I've yet to hear anything negative. It's what makes you happy, not what others think that matters. Kudos to you for taking on such a cool project, I know you'll be ecstatic when it's complete!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Ordered up the last of the parts today:

Shift Cable
Console Wiring Harness
Little "FX4" decal to replace the PRND21 in the instrument cluster
Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

PICS!!!! We need PICS!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Finally Doing The Console Swap!