Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifolds

So I believe I have an exhaust leak at he manifolds. I'm getting a new catback system soon and want to get new aftermarket headers to fix the diesel noise. I would love a set of long tubes but all the ones I see are around 1500 and more than I want to spend. I found a pair of 2010 SVT Raptor JBA Shorty Headers for 400. Are these any good? Does anybody run these or any other headers in this price range that they would recommend? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Swapping headers isn't going to fix the issue. The issue is you have broken studs. Without fixing the studs your going to have the same issue. So unless you want headers why not just replace the studs and keep your factory manifolds?

Wayne
Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 PM

If your looking for more performance from long tube vs shorty headers on a stock to mildly built engine you will not see any difference. Long tube headers are for HIGH performance applications, so shorty headers are more than enough.

I have the leaky manifold too, I can't find exactly where my leak is though.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Swapping headers isn't going to fix the issue. The issue is you have broken studs. Without fixing the studs your going to have the same issue. So unless you want headers why not just replace the studs and keep your factory manifolds?

Wayne
So another question. To replace a stud you have to remove the header and put a new gasket on right? I've always wanted headers for my truck so I saw this as a two birds with one stone for better sounding exhaust type of opportunity.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4
If your looking for more performance from long tube vs shorty headers on a stock to mildly built engine you will not see any difference. Long tube headers are for HIGH performance applications, so shorty headers are more than enough.

I have the leaky manifold too, I can't find exactly where my leak is though.
Ok sounds good thanks! And i tgought it was the cam phasers causing the noise and i finally did the swap and only the deeper tick disapeared. Now i just have the clasic exhaust leak tick. That'll be easier on my wallet too. I've always heard that long tubes would have more power and you would be able to feel more torque than shorties. But I don't have any serious mods so they should do fine.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to tackle this job soon as well I got a set of Edelbrock shorty headers for 50 bucks off kijiji (lightly used he rolled the truck with just 6 days on them) I am going to get a complete set of studs when I do it to replace all of them.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
I have to tackle this job soon as well I got a set of Edelbrock shorty headers for 50 bucks off kijiji (lightly used he rolled the truck with just 6 days on them) I am going to get a complete set of studs when I do it to replace all of them.
Do you have any info on how to change out the studs? How difficult is the whole process for stud and header swap?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 AM

I have a stud remover and yes its a pain in the ***. You have to undo the exhaust and both motor mount and Jack the engine up to access all them. Also most guys remove the starter to make removal easier. I have access to a brazing torch which I will be using to heat up the nuts to remove them.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If broken in the head. it's the hardest. (I weld a nut on mine and remove it pretty easy)
other then this one, they all came out easy.

didn'T remove the starter.

just changing the bolt won't resolve the issue normally , since the manifold flange have wrapped. so you need a need manifold.

The driver side is supposed to be a piece of cake compared to the passenger side!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 PM

well I tackled the job on saturday and sad to say that the 2 studs on the front of the passenger side manifold broke off inside the head, I went to grab the welder at work and the boss did not fill the damn gas which royally ticked me off, I put the header on for now as its my daily driver but I am going to take it to the local exhaust shop we use to see if they can do it for me. Took me a while but I got 6 of the 8 studs out complete without breaking. I tried drilling them out to no avail not sure if the metal is a hardened steel of not but not even my good drill bit dented them. Sounds like a bag of crap right now. Depending on the cost I may just get them to do the drivers side while I am at it. Sucks having to pay someone to do things for me lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifolds