Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dash lights/ Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights/ Tail Lights

I have a 2007 F150 Super crew, with a Swiss Cab High Shell. The third brake light is wired in. That is all that the shell has. Just one wire going from 3rd tail light on shell to green wire under driver side. Currently with the headlight switch in Automatic, headlights, and tail lights work but the dash lights and instrument lights do not. If I move the switch to park or full on the heaed lights and dash lights work but the tail lights do not. I have had it at the Ford dealer for this once before. They replaced a distribution box, then said that the only way the could get the lights to work was to unwire the shell. I took the truck to the place that the dealer recomended and had the shell wired back in. 3 months later same thing. It was an intermittent problem at first but now they have gone off, and not returned. I do not understand how the camper shell wire for the 3rd brake light, (one wire) is screwing up the dash lights and the tail lights. Any suggestions?????
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 F-250 with the same exact issue.. Headlight switch to auto-Taillights, but no dashlights.. Switch to normal - dash, but no tail.. What was your fix??
The following users liked this post:
Mr.james Davis (12-10-2023)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM

I had the problem in my 02 GT but it was for trailer lights, had everything screwed up. It just ended up being a bad crimp, a short or something. Maybe you have a bare spot somewhere or a bad crimp as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

So what ended up being the fix?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lariat 04
I had the problem in my 02 GT but it was for trailer lights, had everything screwed up. It just ended up being a bad crimp, a short or something. Maybe you have a bare spot somewhere or a bad crimp as well.
Have to agree my boat trailer has wreaked havoc usually a short somewhere in the wiring in the trailer. I would check the shell for shorts nothing else makes sense
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Take a volt/ohm meter (you can get a cheap one at Radio Shack or the like for under 10 bucks). Set it to ohms "x10" scale. Put the black probe to a good ground (I would not trust the trailer wiring ground; it may be the culprit). With the red probe, insert the tip in each female connector of the trailer wiring (under the left side bumper). If the volt/ohm meter goes to zero on any of the leads, there's your short (to ground). You may have one of the circuits shorted to another (I.E. brake/turn signal, parking lights to one another). Check that too.

I'm going to guess it's the wiring in the shell. The manufacturer most likely ran the wire along the shell body, and it chaffed somewhere to the truck bed metal. You could remove the bulb in the shell's third brake light (it would "open" that circuit) and see if the problem goes away. Then you'd know for sure it's in that wiring.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by crackhead
So what ended up being the fix?
Just had to re-crimp the plug two of the wires were accidentally crimped together. It was an add on plug and it just laid flat on the set of wires going to one of the break lights and the part that you actually crimped just poked through both sets of wires, and one of the poke through prongs was touching two wires out of the set.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 PM

ok to breath some life back into this old post I have the same issue but with no trailer hooked up and no topper shell. I have disconnected the trailer plug connection and the plugs for the tail lights and it doesn't make a difference any insight?
Old 12-10-2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by crackhead
I have a 2002 F-250 with the same exact issue.. Headlight switch to auto-Taillights, but no dashlights.. Switch to normal - dash, but no tail.. What was your fix??
DI'd you have it fix if so let me know how to fix this project
Old 12-11-2023, 09:12 AM

Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.james Davis
DI'd you have it fix if so let me know how to fix this project
Crackhead hasn't posted on this since 2009. I recommend you start a new post.

Quick Reply: Dash lights/ Tail Lights