Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CrashTECH's "build" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Default CrashTECH's "build" thread

These threads seem to be the cool thing to do, so I am starting mine now.

My 2004 FX4 Screw shortly after being purchased in November 2009, with 79k miles.

Mid-January
The first "mods" was to install a new double din with Sat Nav, Sirius, and iPod connectivity. Kenwood DNX6140, Sirius Connect tuner, Kenwood iPod cable routed into glove box.

Take your time to solder things up and use heat shrink for good quality connections.

The mic cable will be hidden better soon. I will be moving the GPS and Sirius antennas to the roof as well as right now they are just sitting on top of the dash. The GPS is located okay but the Sirius sometimes has trouble keeping a signal.

2010-06-16
New pads and rotors have arrived (6/15). Exhaust should be shipped soon. Backup camera has been shipped (6/16). My relays and switches have been shipped.

Rotors are Power Slot rotors. I skipped the cryo treated ones only because it was going to pinch my budget a little too much to get the more expensive rotors. I had StopTech rotors on my Mazdaspeed 6 which are very similar to the Power Slots and they were amazing. Pads are Hawk LTS pads.

Roush Off-Road Dual rear exit exhaust.

I purchased a handful of SPST relays in addition to On-Off rocker switches for various uses. Allowing me to turn on my back up camera as needed as well as a set of driving lights I will be mounting on the rear of the truck and possibly some bed illumination.

I have some paint from http://www.paintscratch.com/ to repair some minor scratches on the bumpers as well as a couple rust bubbles. The paint is reasonably priced and so far is a near perfect match. I will post pictures of that effort soon as well.

I also plan to install towing mirrors as well as upgrading the ATX and oil coolers.

Last edited by CrashTECH; 06-21-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Relays and switches have arrived. Camera has arrived. Exhaust installed! Just for future reference, have a 21mm deep socket on hand for the install. I didn't have one and had the old exhaust off before discovering I was a tool short. I should be fleshing out the wiring on paper for the camera here soon. I will take that opportunity to re-run the antennas and clean up that wiring.

Pics coming soon.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Look forward to seeing all that ya do!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM

2010-06-21:
Exhaust installed!

Make sure you have a 21mm deep well socket for the install. I didn't have one and fortunately found a buddy who was willing to go pick one up. I also had to cut off the nut on the clamp, so I have to get a U-Clamp tomorrow to install.

Out with the old:

In with the new:
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Auto-illiterate.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't wait to see the rear auxiliary lights!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AAK625
I can't wait to see the rear auxiliary lights!
Need to find a set that doesn't look terrible. I want them to be nice and out of the way. So far everything I have seen in B&Ms have not got me excited. I don't want some huge lights hanging from my bumper!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Got the wiring drawn up for the rear accessories. I debated putting the relays and such in the rear, but either way I am going to have to run multiple wires to the back. I figure this way I only need to send 3 wires back and have a video cable come up. I can also put everything in an enclosure and put it under a seat or behind the dash or something.

Version 1 of my drawing. I will need to update the fuses to be the proper size. It will depend on the type of lights/lighting I go with. I am pretty sure the fuse specified for the camera is fine. This means that the ignition has to be on for any of this to work. A small hassle (I might wire in an override switch though) but will keep from the battery accidentally getting drained.

If the rain holds off today I might try to get the camera installed. It might have to wait till after the weekend though. Lame.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SCHEMATIC1 _ PAGE1.pdf (11.4 KB, 539 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 PM

2010-07-26:

• Tow mirror install
  • Camera install prep
  • Trans + diffs flushed and fluid changed ($343.43)
Been super busy, so I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted. I have installed the tow mirrors and got everything working! I used the writeup found here as well as a few random posts here.

The one thing I want to point out is you need to be super careful when you remove the red cap on the plug. I was able to perform this without buying any additional pins or anything from Ford. You can cut the wires on the truck side of the harness and then push the pin out the front of the harness, put in the correct pin, and re-attach a wire. Since you could leave out the ground, I use the extra pin for the puddle lights. I will try to grab a picture in the daylight.

Pictures:

Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM

Mirror install cont'd:
Another point of note about the mirror install. I actually had 3 wires matching the description from the how-to post. Pictures here for to see which one actually worked for me. If you look close, on the right, you can see the two wires I tried first. Third time was obviously the ticket. I did remove the red tap splice connector and cover the splits in the insulation with electrical tape.

Camera install prep:
Following the schematic (only for the camera portions, bed lights and aux lights are not going to be in installed yet). I spent about 3 hours getting all of my wiring and relays ready. Tomorrow I will get the camera and harness mounted and hook up to my relay / switch assembly.

I also replaced the Blower Motor Resistor, which seems to have made an improvement. The 1st fan speed still seems a bit weak, but that seems par for the course. At least it appears to be working better now.

Brakes:
Don't have a whole lot of pictures for this but I am really impressed with the improvement in stopping power! Definitely a big upgrade over OEM. For what it is worth, the OEM brakes were in impressive shape when I took them off. Some grooving on the rear rotors, but not terrible. Pads had about 45% of their life left. Pretty impressive for what I am betting is the original brakes.

Power Slot Power Alloy Rotors
Hawk LTS Truck/SUV Pads

Last edited by CrashTECH; 07-26-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding your new brake setup...How's the dust compared to the stock brake setup? And is there any noise?

Quick Reply: CrashTECH's "build" thread