Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can you bypass Fords security?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can you bypass Fords security?

Is there an easy way to disable the ford anti-theft devices on the 2004 STX?

How to I even know if I have any starter disable or factory immobilizer?

My STX has power nothing, but does have the chipped keys and there is an OEM dash mounted LED that flashes when the car is locked.

What system does this sound like to you and can it be defeated?

I want to install a remote starter as well as power locks and eliminating the OEM security would make install a heck of a lot easier, assuming I have some security system on board.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

You know I just noticed that I have the same dash light on my 06 STX. Again power nothing from factory I added power windows and locks aftermarket, but I was wondering how does the truck know when it's locked if if doesn't have power locks?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

It's not "security" per se, it's a PATS, passive anti-theft system.

No chip in the key, no start.

It's part of the ECU programming, so bypassing it would be difficult at best. It has nothing to do with power locks/windows, etc. The flashing lights blinks whether the truck is locked or not.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:39 PM

Thanks for clearing that up! Makes more sense now
Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
You know I just noticed that I have the same dash light on my 06 STX. Again power nothing from factory I added power windows and locks aftermarket, but I was wondering how does the truck know when it's locked if if doesn't have power locks?
I don't think it does. I believe in our trucks it just says "security is activated", its up to the thief to figure out if its PATS, engine immobilizer, alarm or something completely different.

For the most part it's just a deterrent. Mine blinks with the doors locked or unlocked. (As long as the engine is not running)

Originally Posted by gone postal
It's not "security" per se, it's a PATS, passive anti-theft system.

No chip in the key, no start.

It's part of the ECU programming, so bypassing it would be difficult at best. It has nothing to do with power locks/windows, etc. The flashing lights blinks whether the truck is locked or not.
I just checked mine out more closely after these comments.

The LED blinks anytime there is no key in the ignition or the key is not in the run position/ car running. It does not blink when the motor is running. It does not care about any door being open. As soon as I turn off the ignition (to the point where all the dash lights illuminate, it starts to blink again. Also during the starting process, it goes solid for a few seconds until the truck starts.

So based on my truck, it appears the LED is only linked to the PATS system (potentially) and or the ECU that is monitoring engine RPM or some parameter indicating the truck is running.

I hope this means I do NOT have an immobilizer or other security device other than PATS to bypass or work around for remote start installation and power locks.

I bought the Ford OEM shop manuals for this truck. Ford throws all the options on the same schematic for any given circuit, making it difficult to decipher what one has or does not have.

Last edited by broderp; 10-30-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the 2004 STX too. It has aftermarket remote start, locks, and alarm. If I start the truck with the remote start, it will start and stay running until I turn lights on, or press on the breaks to shift. Doing any of those things will kill the engine and will not start again unless using the key. Mind you, this happens without the key in the ignition. If the key is in the ignition then it does not kill it. Anyways.... Key in the ignition everything works as it should. Key out of the ignition engine starts and runs until the unit senses a disruption, then kills it. This is the correct operation and function of both the aftermarket and factory security systems when they have been installed properly.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by DrGriffin
I have the 2004 STX too. It has aftermarket remote start, locks, and alarm. If I start the truck with the remote start, it will start and stay running until I turn lights on, or press on the breaks to shift. Doing any of those things will kill the engine and will not start again unless using the key. Mind you, this happens without the key in the ignition. If the key is in the ignition then it does not kill it. Anyways.... Key in the ignition everything works as it should. Key out of the ignition engine starts and runs until the unit senses a disruption, then kills it. This is the correct operation and function of both the aftermarket and factory security systems when they have been installed properly.

I believe this is more a function of the remote start than your Truck. The remote start I had installed in my Durango did the exact same thing. Only putting in the key and turning it to the on position would keep the brake or lights from shutting down the car.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by broderp
I believe this is more a function of the remote start than your Truck. The remote start I had installed in my Durango did the exact same thing. Only putting in the key and turning it to the on position would keep the brake or lights from shutting down the car.
It is tied into the PATS. No key, no go. Mine is directly wired into the factory security system.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DrGriffin
It is tied into the PATS. No key, no go. Mine is directly wired into the factory security system.
how did you tire it into the factory security system, just curious if I wanted remote start in the future.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
how did you tire it into the factory security system, just curious if I wanted remote start in the future.
there is a control module that plugs into your factory system and then you connect your aftermarket system to it as well. Not sure what the make and model is. It is mounted way up under my dash. Sorry I couldn't offer any more help.

Quick Reply: Can you bypass Fords security?