Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

brakes advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes advice

OK, so I know I need brakes. I have a warped rotor I can feel it when I apply the brakes. I have already had them turned once so I am going to have to replace them. I'm replacing the pads too. The dealership talked me into keeping the same set on once when they turned the rotors once before, won't make that mistake again. I don't need advice on what rotor to get or what pad to buy. I am not a mechanic and don't have the time to figure out how to do the brakes myself. I am smart enough to learn how to do it, but have other things going on in my life, so here is what I am going to get and have the shop put on for me. I am getting EBC solid rotors and EBC or Hawk pads. My question is what else do I need? Is there anything else the shop needs for a swap from factory crap to aftermarket quality stuff? I don't want to order just rotors and pads then find out I should have ordered some other stuff or an install kit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

brake pad kit that comes with new sliders and pad springs.

edit:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...e+hardware+kit

when i did mine i replaced all the caliper sliders and bolts cause they were so rusty.

Last edited by flamehead16; 07-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by makerstr20x
OK, so I know I need brakes. I have a warped rotor I can feel it when I apply the brakes. I have already had them turned once so I am going to have to replace them. I'm replacing the pads too. The dealership talked me into keeping the same set on once when they turned the rotors once before, won't make that mistake again.
Did you bed the pads in with the new rotors?

I'm guessing the rotors aren't warped at all. Insted, it's much more likely the rotors have brake pad deposits on them due to improper bedding.

My question is what else do I need?
You need to PROPERLY bed the pads in. Visit the brake pad manufacturer's web site for their recommended bedding procedure. If they don't have a bedding procedure, use the one found on Hawk's web site.

Proper bedding is ESSENTIAL for smooth brakes.

Is there anything else the shop needs for a swap from factory crap to aftermarket quality stuff? I don't want to order just rotors and pads then find out I should have ordered some other stuff or an install kit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pads and rotors should be all you need, assuming everything else (ABS sensors, caliper pins, springs, wheel bearings, etc...) is in good shape and there's no way to tell until your start taking things apart.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Hill country truck.

Where are you located?? I'll do them for half the price the dealer will charge you!! Haha no I understand that your busy. I love doing my own brakes cause it makes me feel safer and I learn more. They are very easy to do. Just make sure to inspect(visually) after the dealership is done doing them. You never know with dealerships these days. Make sure you have all your parts that you ordered installed.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

When I had the rotors turned the first time, the dealer didn't do anything to the old brake pads. they just left the old pads on. I didn't know anything about brakes then and trusted them to know what was supposed to be right. As soon as I left, the brakes were making horrible racket, I took it back to them and they said "give them a few days, they'll be fine" A few days later, wouldn't ya know it...wasn't fine. Had to get all new rotors cause the newly turned ones were bad. After arguing with with the dealer they didn't charge me labor to install new rotors. I asked about new pads. They said "oh no your pads are in good shape, they'll be fine" again, I was not yet a member of this forum and didn't know any better, silly me trusting the service department. What the hell was I thinking. I did not receive any "break in" procedure instructions from dealer and did not know I needed too. This time the brakes have done OK, but I tow a boat and I had to do a couple hard braking and feel like I have a bad rotor. Since I tow and these rotors didn't last very long anyway I'm upgrading everything. Besides, I'm tired of the red dust on my nice aftermarket wheels. UGGGHHH! Oh by the way The dealer aint touching them. I have a trustworthy shop shop that does a little bit of everything in town. Pretty good guys. Already talked to them, they will do it for cheap. I just bring them the stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 PM

"My question is what else do I need? Is there anything else the shop needs for a swap from factory crap to aftermarket quality stuff"

I got 92k out of my crap brakes. Just saying
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 PM

well congratulations. besides a bad rotor, I can't get used to red dust on my expensive wheels. I have better things to do than polish my wheels every 3 days. The better performance would be nice. Oh did you have any actual information?

Last edited by makerstr20x; 07-08-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks, I couldn't help it because if OEM is crap I've got a whole truck worth of crap in my driveway lol. I put ceramic pads on my truck to reduce brake dust and so far I'm getting probably 75% less brake dust. But believe all your questions were answered in the above posts. I would find a different shop to Install your brakes after the trouble you've experienced with your dealer.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Ohhh so you did replace the OEM pads like I'm going to do? I'm pretty sure ceramics are not stock. The dealer is only for warranty work, not brakes, exhaust, tires, etc. The shop I'm taking it to is not the dealer. The only thing I do not like about my truck is the brakes I and do mean the only thing. I love everything else. I've been a Ford guy for years. If my only complaint is brakes, I can live with that.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Yes I did leave OEM brakes because I wanted to try to reduce brake dust. And so far I love the ceramic brakes from Napa. My truck gets dirty before the rims!

Quick Reply: brakes advice