Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any active users running aftermarket transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Any active users running aftermarket transmission cooler

I'm looking for input from active users of the site that are running an aftermarket transmission cooler on a 5.4 with tow package. Specifically, if you either replaced the stock 10 row cooler with something better (cooler with a fan attached, etc), or added and additional transmission cooler inline with the stock cooler.

I'm looking for the best option to get my temps down when towing heavy through the mountains. I just can't get comfortable seeing my temps get as high as 225 degrees, even if its only for a few minutes and stabilizes back to 180 on flat. All I hear in my head is "high heat is the number one cause for transmission fails".

I found a couple threads here from 3 years ago, but they never really finished the threads. If you've added one, what'd you add, how much did it help?

Also, if anyone put in one of those extra capacity Derale pans with cooling fins, any results to share?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:29 PM

Just a quick update to this thread for the next guy that comes across this question. I installed this aftermarket Transmission Cooler on my 05 F150 V8 with a factory transmission cooler:

I mounted it on the factory tranny cooler, just used the little poke through straps, avoiding going through the fins where possible. I spliced the return line off the factory cooler, the hose part, not the metal part and used a couple of male to male hose bards from home depot to connect the output of the factory cooler to the input of the Derale cooler. Finally, I used the output of the Derale cooler to connect to the return line to the transmission. I didn't get a picture of that, but here is how it looks installed:

So, how did it work? It works really good. Over the thanksgiving holiday, I took my annual trip to the Dumont Dunes from San Diego. This trip takes me through two grades that have caused my temps to climb above 200 degrees. The first climbs out of San Diego to Temecula would cause 205-210 temps when I was towing my Toyhauler fully loaded, close to 8000 pounds. This time I didn't see temps higher than 190, and my average temp on flats was crusing around 170. The next big test was the Cajon Pass on the 15 North of San Bernadino. The temps there had hit 220 over the 4 climbs there. This time, it stayed around 195 until the final climb, a 3 mile 6% climb that I try to maintain 45 up. The temp peaked at 215, a little higher than I liked, but less than the 225 that climb had reached last time. I'm feeling pretty good about this mod and would recommend this for anyone who is seeing temps higher than they are happy with, even with the factory tow package cooler.

Pit stop in Barstow, CA
Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I went from the factory 3 row (think it was three row) to the 10 row and saw significant drops in transmission temps on my Edge tuner. I thought of installing a fan to it, but felt with the lower temps when towing, it was not needed.

One thing to point out is to never install an aftermarket trans cooler and bypass the stock one. Instead, install the aftermarket along with the stock to increase the cooling.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

I installed a Hayden aux cooler recently for piece of mind while towing. On my truck I had a drop of about 15 degrees, but never went over 203 even before the cooler.

IMO you need to re position the cooler up on the radiator, it is drawing very little air from your fan down low where you installed it. I put mine up high on the left side and used the 2 factory screws that were also holding the AC condenser coil. Although I did have to drill and extra hole into the aftermarket cooler, it looks stock.
Then I ran my lines behind the rubber flap to have a stock look. Above is a picture during the install before the lines were run, I can get a picture of the lines also if you would like to see.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dembruski
I installed a Hayden aux cooler recently for piece of mind while towing. On my truck I had a drop of about 15 degrees, but never went over 203 even before the cooler.

IMO you need to re position the cooler up on the radiator, it is drawing very little air from your fan down low where you installed it. I put mine up high on the left side and used the 2 factory screws that were also holding the AC condenser coil. Although I did have to drill and extra hole into the aftermarket cooler, it looks stock.
Then I ran my lines behind the rubber flap to have a stock look. Above is a picture during the install before the lines were run, I can get a picture of the lines also if you would like to see.
I did think to try to put the cooler in a spot like you did. I opted for where I put it with the idea that if the stock cooler gets enough flow there, it should be good enough for the aftermarket. I do see significantly lower overall temps, but if more airflow and lower peak temps could be achieved, I might consider moving it. Can you take a closer picture of the mounting screws you are using? I have another trip coming up in a few months that I've seem my highest temps during climbs, so I'm still curious to see what my reduction is there.

And to Bucko's point, absolutely, put this in-line, do not bypass anything.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM

Here are a few closer pictures of where I used the stock mounting bolts from the ac condenser. The stock location is great if you are on the highway and have enough airflow to keep your temps down. But my biggest heat issue in Florida is the stop and go traffic, so I need the extra air flow from the radiator fan. I also put this in addition to my stock cooler.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the close up pics. I may end up re-running mine. How much does it wobble with just those two bolts?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 PM

Doesn't move at all.

As a precaution I put the little square foam pads that were supplied in the kit on the top right and bottom right corners (if looking at my first picture) of the cooler so it wouldn't hit my condenser and damage it.