Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alternator upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator upgrade?

Between my sound system and lights, and other things I wanna run I don't wanna put a second battery in, I'd rather put a bigger alternator or even dual alternators, but I haven't a clue how about doing this, I'd really like dual alternators, tho, can you even get dual alternators for the f-150? If you can someone shoot me link or a tell a site! Thanks

And yes I did search I just don't know how strong of a alternator I need or if it's bad to have to big of one if your not using all the energy from it

Any replies would be sweet thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your getting this audio and light work done at a shop i would talk to them and ask them what they would recomend, electrical is a tricky subject. im sure you know if you blow a fuse never replace it with a different size fuse, i would think something along those lines would apply to adding a different alternator in. although having two alternators would sound sweet, i dont see it being possible
Old 12-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't you put duals on?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're running subs you should get a good quality 1 farad capacitor wired in series with your amp. That'll help smooth the load out when the bass hits.
You can take you alternator to a rebuild shop and get them to up the output. You will never get high current when you're idling though. Maybe 40-50 amps which is barely enough to run the truck with the headlights on
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Change out your battery to one of those Optima yellow tops.. Plenty power... And then go with a Capacitor.. I'd use a 2 or 4 farad just in case you are over 500+watts or have multiple amps... Another reason for a bigger farad is if you get one to small you'll still have dimming light issues because it is constantly recharging.. In my Expedition I ran a yellow and 20 farad capacitor... Never upgraded the alternator and never had any dimming issues or lack of power issues...
The following users liked this post:
Tiderfish (01-16-2014)

Quick Reply: Alternator upgrade?