Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2WD to 4WD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD to 4WD conversion

I just bought an 04 F150 5.4 Triton 2WD. Unfortunatally I was upsidedown on my last car and am inturn quite upsidedown in this truck. I'm OK with that because I love my truck. I'm getting new tires for it with my tax return and I'm stoked about moding it further. ANYWAYS, I would however like to take it to Big Bear and Mamoth to go snowboarding and maybe out to the the dunes and into mediocre mud. How much would it run to convert my truck to 4WD. I have searched the site and found someone that wanted to do the same thing but had a better knowledge on his truck. I'm new to it all. I don't even know if there is a cheaper and way easier way to get the kind of traction/clearance I would need to do those few things listed above. That is why I am thankful that this board is here. You are the experts, so school my ***.

Thanks in advance
Markus
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM

It's gonna cost quite a bit to get a 2wd to be a 4wd.. Might be better off putting a solid axle up front and a divorce tcase. You would need most of the front end of of a 4wd truck of the same year to make the swap. Probably the ECU also. You could baja the truck and still hold your own off road.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it would be cheaper to just trade your truck in and buy a 4wd truck.
to convert 2 to 4wd your going to need so many parts its not worth doing. youd need a transfer case, new rear drive shalf, front drive shaft, front axle, a drive shaft between the tranny and t-case if you run a divorced t-case. leave springs, leaf spring mounts custom installed on the frame, and probably more im not thinking about
Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

trade it in for a 4wd
Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM

I;m too upsidedown on it to be able to afford to trade it in.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:35 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get yourself a cheap 4X4. It would be cheaper to get a beater and fix it up then It would be to convert what you have. I would get something made in the late 60's or early 70's. Because we don't use salt on our roads in Wyoming we have such trucks every where. LMC trucks has all of the parts, except the drive train stuff, but this kind of stuff is available else where. The nice thing about Ford truck of this vintage is the engine choices you have, it is easy to put 390's, 427, 429's, 460's. Of course there is the 289, 302, 351W. etc. In the 70's you will run across the 360 V8 which was a dog engine, The head design on this motor was really bogus, I understand the fix was to put 390 heads on it. I doesn't matter if it takes several years to get this Truck put together at the end you will have a truck that you have built to suit yourself, and you can show off with pride. By way of inspiration here is what I consider one of the funnest car ad's in history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQ-fETU-nA

Quick Reply: 2WD to 4WD conversion