Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 STX A/C Dies for 2 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 STX A/C Dies for 2 Minutes

I Was running errands today when the A/C and Blower stopped working. I looked at the rest of my lights and it was only the 2 items not working. Also, A/C light and return air lights off. Couple of minutes later everything fires up like nothing ever happened.
Has this happened to anyone else. I have no Idea what caused it or where to look and isolate the problem. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a wire getting hot, shorting out, then turning back on after it cools. Could also be the switch. Pull the assembly and check for hot spots.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had to replace the hvac control panel in my truck. it would turn on randomly when it was off and sometimes do weird stuff when it was on. replaced the control panel and everything is good now.
The following users liked this post:
sbhawaiian (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 AM

Default Mahalo (thanks)

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Sounds like a wire getting hot, shorting out, then turning back on after it cools. Could also be the switch. Pull the assembly and check for hot spots.

Thanks for the fast reply and info...Richard
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 AM

Default Mahalo (thanks)

Originally Posted by chris.c
I had to replace the hvac control panel in my truck. it would turn on randomly when it was off and sometimes do weird stuff when it was on. replaced the control panel and everything is good now.

Did you replace it yourself? if so was it easy or a pain?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, it is pretty easy. Remove the bezel around the radio and the control unit is held in by 4 screws and one or two harnesses if I recall correctly. Shouldn't take more than 10 mins to change, I got a replacement on eBay it was like 20 bucks.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM

Default Thanks again

Yes, it is pretty easy. Remove the bezel around the radio and the control unit is held in by 4 screws and one or two harnesses if I recall correctly. Shouldn't take more than 10 mins to change, I got a replacement on eBay it was like 20 bucks.
Great to hear that. I live on Maui and it's hot and humid all year. It's really hard on electronics and body rust.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Thanks again

I finally got the part from ebay. It's $40 now but cheaper than Ford. Panel came off easy enough. I'm glad I looked at youtube 1st. It said that on the top on the bezel panel do not unplug the airbag connector. It said something about messing up the computer program. They sent me a 2008 and part numbers matched. A/C unit works so now I just hope it stays running. Next project is the Hi Mount brake light assy. It leaks thru the gasket (common problem for my years) going to replace the unit with LEDs. Regard
Ricky

Quick Reply: 06 STX A/C Dies for 2 Minutes