Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau Cover Recommendations 2011 6 1/2ft bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Tonneau Cover Recommendations 2011 6 1/2ft bed

Recently purchased a 2011 F150 XLT with the 6 1/2ft bed. I'm wanting to add a tonneau cover. Motivations include (a) safely store items for road trips and (b) fuel mileage. I know as an owner of a truck fuel mileage should be a take what you get scenario but I have a 110 mile round trip commute to work everyday so any improvement makes a dent by the end of the week. I really like a buddy's velcro roll out tonneau, but I've never purchased a cover before. Suggestions?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

BAK Roll-X
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ARE has a good look and fit. And a hard top Tonneau cover with a lock is the most secure.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 375 Likes on 229 Posts

With these newer trucks, I wouldn't count on any fuel mileage improvement. Not a bad thing, since the truck is designed to be efficient with or without the cover.
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro and love it. I had a hard cover in the past, and this soft cover works even better for me. Easy to roll open or close, and can be snapped off in 10 seconds to remove it if you'd like. Sliding Velcro strips and spring loaded adjustment screws auto adjust every time. I use my bed a lot. I have an Adarac on it too, and I'm constantly hauling loads, firewood, mulch, gravel, camping gear, bikes, kayaks, canoe, lumber, etc. This lo pro is perfect for the heavy use (open/close cycles).
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

You will get zero fuel mileage improvement so don't expect any.

Www.retrax.com is the absolute best hard low profile roll up cover and best all around considering all factors in my opinion, but spendy. A hard shell cover that just folds up from the rear are nice looking but pretty impractical if you haul anything taller than the box sides. Otherwise if you're looking to do on the cheap truxedo is the best soft cover. You can get other soft covers a little cheaper but they won't match the quality of truxedo. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I have a bak flip G2 and love it. Have had it on for three years.

There are tons of covers and it will drive you insane researching.

Are and the like covers are the most secure/waterproof but don't have that low profile look.

Soft Velcro covers are cheap looking and security is nil but price is attractive.

Hard folding or rolling covers are nice, they offer security, water resistance but are expensive.

I like mine, I have the 6 1/2 bed also and it has 4 panels and I can fold them to any position I want. The only down sides that I see is that when completely folded it covers back window and its not as water tight as the full fiberglass covers.

I have no problem throwing luggage back there and keeping gear back there. It only lets in a few drops here and there.

Backflip has a newer one that combines the aluminum hard cover with the soft top material.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Backflip has a newer one that combines the aluminum hard cover with the soft top material.
Yes they do BakFlip VP and I just bought one and installed it yesterday. Took less than 30 minutes to install and have working correctly and is about as low profile as it gets.

I got it from an authorized BakFlip dealer on Ebay for $600 shipped. I received quotes anywhere from 100-200 more than that from vendors here on this site and other places.

There are sooo many options out there for them. You might want to find a local parts dealer that sells them and get a feel for them and look at them rather than just pictures and videos online. It all depends on what you really want to use it for. The BedRug and BakFlip VP is the perfect combination for what I use mine for.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Received 243 Likes on 122 Posts

Leer 700. Just my opinion. I simple love mine. New they are about $1150.00 PTM.

Richard
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

x2 for the roll-x Love mine, it has all the protection and security and also rolls up out the way so you get full use of the bed.

Aluminum ribs and soft top, the absolute lowest profile of any tonneau. They say it can hold 400lbs if evenly distributed on it when it's deployed. It's pretty tough.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB

Yes they do BakFlip VP and I just bought one and installed it yesterday. Took less than 30 minutes to install and have working correctly and is about as low profile as it gets.

I got it from an authorized BakFlip dealer on Ebay for $600 shipped. I received quotes anywhere from 100-200 more than that from vendors here on this site and other places.

There are sooo many options out there for them. You might want to find a local parts dealer that sells them and get a feel for them and look at them rather than just pictures and videos online. It all depends on what you really want to use it for. The BedRug and BakFlip VP is the perfect combination for what I use mine for.
I also have bed rug, great combo!

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Recommendations 2011 6 1/2ft bed