Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shudder 2010 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Shudder 2010 F150

Ok. I know this post is already on here, but I am STILL looking for answers.

My 2010 F150 4.6 4X4 XLT (currently at 48000kms) which was built in Sept. 09 has an engine shudder while excellerating at about 60km/h. I took it in once for a test drive and couldn't get it to make the noise. Second time, same thing. Third time AHA the mechanic heard it with his own ears!! "Yes, I'm not crazy!!" I think to myself. Then the crappy customer service sets in.

#1 They order the 'wrong part' and give me my truck back after being the shop for the day. (Okay, that sucks, but I can deal)
#2 I don't hear from them for a week. I call them up and they say we don't want your truck in here because the torque converter that they were going to install has been found NOT to fix the problem. They say "Ford is still looking into what the problem is". Thanks, were you planning on letting me in on this?
#3 Two weeks, no call. I call them because the shudder is getting worse, more frequent and at a greater range of speeds. I say, "I've been patient. I paid 40k's for a BRAND NEW truck so that I wouldn't have problems. I have had many friends in my truck and they've heard the noise. More than embarassing, I'm afraid for my safety. At this point I hope that my truck fails on the highway and I get in a serious accident. Then you'll be accountable like Toyota because you heard me say I'm afraid for my safety. Now, all I ask is a rental car while you fix the problem."
I had a rental car the next day.
Infact, I had the rental car for the maximum 36 days. Ford apparently rebuilt the torque converters to fix the problem and they installed this newly updated one (I'm skeptical).
After 36 days with a reliable and shudder-free Escape, I picked up my pick - up and drove away.
One week later --- the sound, that annoying shudder, is STILL THERE!

I went back into the dealership last week and told them that they're taking my truck this Thursday because I'm leaving for 3 weeks and they can keep it until they fix the problem.

So, I know that many people have had this engine shudder and had the torque converter replaced to no avail. So my question is: Where do we go from here?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the very same issue; my truck has 24,000 kms on it and they have already changed one torque. The sales Mgr i purchased the truck from tells me they are still working on the fix. Make sure you get something in writing from the warranty dept saying they are going to fix the problem just in case your truck runs out of warranty during the process.

P.S. the sales manager also informed me that they don,t know how to fix it; it has to do with the new six speed tranny.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudchucker
I have the very same issue; my truck has 24,000 kms on it and they have already changed one torque. The sales Mgr i purchased the truck from tells me they are still working on the fix. Make sure you get something in writing from the warranty dept saying they are going to fix the problem just in case your truck runs out of warranty during the process.

P.S. the sales manager also informed me that they don,t know how to fix it; it has to do with the new six speed tranny.
Great, another issue with the 6 speed transmissions...if Ford doesn't fix this soon (I hope they do) they will crash and burn.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
Great, another issue with the 6 speed transmissions...if Ford doesn't fix this soon (I hope they do) they will crash and burn.

yeah, I dont see that as most people dont experience this with there trucks, its an issue but not one that is as wide spread as your making it out to be.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by manic5_2001
yeah, I dont see that as most people dont experience this with there trucks, its an issue but not one that is as wide spread as your making it out to be.
Time will tell and most of the complaints are after a certain mileage on their trucks. I am hoping this isn't wide spread but on other Ford forums i.e. Excursion etc they too are having transmission issues. I do love the Ford trucks and do not want to see anything bad happen, maybe I should have worded my post better.

Last edited by Bob_Mac; 08-03-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed also that most of the complaints are from people with the higher ratio rear end....... 3.15, 3.31, and some 3.55's, I have not noticed that many 3.73 issues. I dont know just a theory perhaps the new 6spd trans 6th gear is too big and the engine has trouble powering it. I mean from what I have read it sounds like the problem mimiks driving a manual and shifting into 5th gear at 4mph........ right, I dont know, thats with the shudder, but I know I am getting the 100k warrenty when I get to 30k miliage just from all the issues SOME people are having, I am not lucky soooo I expect issues.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have a 2010 xlt 4.6 3v,, with the good ole 6 speed with the shudder ,,,rear end shakes at 75 and up,,and had to put a new two piece drive shaft on because they couldn't balance the original,,, I now have 82,000 on the truck with no more warranty.. its my 3rd f150 and never had so many problems, the left rear door shakes when I hit a bump and worse at high speeds and I have a p0451 code for the tank pressure that they never could fix.. its never ending.. if I didn't owe so much I would drop it off and get my 06 back...

Quick Reply: Shudder 2010 F150