Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching/Metal scratching noise in slow roll (no not brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching/Metal scratching noise in slow roll (no not brakes)

No not the brakes.. Checked those already and even had the rotors and pads replaced for good measure since they were low.. not sure what it is and the firestone mechanic had no clue! It only occurs on slow rolls... as you as pick up speed it goes away but reappears when creeping along. Very loud and metallic..

anyone experience these before? Wondering before I go and get the car into the dealership and have them try anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by njguy32; 09-09-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spell check missed..
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Mine was a small pebble caught between the rotor and splash shield but if you replaced rotors it kind of rules that out
Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Mine was the parking brake. New rotors will not solve that problem. Adjusting / replacing / removing the parking brake will.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you hear the sound coming from the front or back of vehicle? Could be a frozen wheel bearing that frees up with speed.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Not sure where its coming from in vehicle.. but bringing it in to service on the 21st... $100 deductible on this bumper to bumper comp warranty since i bought it used certified.. we'll see what comes up.. wondering if its the bearing.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Some guy

Warranty deductible is $100. Freeing up / removing the parking brake / replacing the parking brake shoes at best $25. Just throwing that out there
Old 09-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Warranty deductible is $100. Freeing up / removing the parking brake / replacing the parking brake shoes at best $25. Just throwing that out there
unfortunately i'm not sure how to do that- or I'd do it myself...unless someone here has a 'how to guide' on this?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Some guy

Jack up truck.
Remove rear tires.
Remove calipers / rotors (hang the caliper from an S hook or set it on a bucket... do not let it hang by the hose).
If the rotor feels stuck or won't come off, beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet or hammer to remove it. (Indicator that it is a parking brake problem.)
Observe the springs and hooks / retention clips holding it onto the assembly. Not much of a tut is needed to remove them because they're pretty self-explanatory. If you have a thought of "I bet I could remove them by..." it's probably true.

The parking brake cable is attached to a scissor lever behind the backing plate. The lever itself goes through a hole with a rubber boot, through the backing plate into the drum created by where the rear rotor was before you removed it. With your hands you can easily take the cable off the lever (it's just hooked on) and with the parking brake shoes removed (disconnect the spring at the top with your hands and maybe a pair of pliers) you can just take the lever out. The lever should be two pieces. It's notorious for rusting into one and making the brakes hang up.

Note: For the sake of ease, just take off the entire parking brake (shoes, clips, springs, scissor lever) and put your rotors and calipers and tires back on and then go for a drive. If your sound(s) is(are) gone, you know it was the parking brake and can start messing with that to fix the problem.

Last edited by Martian; 09-09-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Screeching/Metal scratching noise in slow roll (no not brakes)