Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor grill and lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Raptor grill and lights

I got my Raptoid grill with lights a couple days ago and I am wondering where is the best place to get power from. I want them to come on as soon as I start the truck.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Best place to get power

for the 3 front grill lights IMO was running lamps or fogs ... I leave mine on auto and they come on whenever the lights are on ... Its about the best easiest way to do it ...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tapped into my running lights but unless it is dark out you have to turn them on manually.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 10,119 Likes on 6,539 Posts

I tapped into my right front marker light, stripping, soldering, using liquid electrical tape over the splice. Remove your headlight to gain access to the wiring.

Not sure, but do your DRL's come on as soon as soon as you start the truck?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Courtesy www.boost-bars.com (reider03) ...
The following users liked this post:
reider03 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
I tapped into my right front marker light, stripping, soldering, using liquid electrical tape over the splice. Remove your headlight to gain access to the wiring.

Not sure, but do your DRL's come on as soon as soon as you start the truck?
Yes my drl's (front amber lights) come on as soon as you start the truck. So would there be a single + wire for that, that I could tap into for power??
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Redman13
Yes my drl's (front amber lights) come on as soon as you start the truck. So would there be a single + wire for that, that I could tap into for power??
Front amber lights, the same ones in the headlight assembly? Yes, that would work. I have no wiring diagram for your truck, but it's easy to find out which wire. Remove the headlight assembly to get at that light, remove the bulb, start the truck, and just probe with a tester to find which wire is supplying power, and tap into that. I'd suggest doing like myself, and actually strip some insulation off the wire, make a solder connection, then coat with liquid electrical tape.

My reply may sound a bit funny, but even after being in Ontario practically daily, I really never have noticed which lights are the DRLs on a 150. But at least I see the truck, with or without the DRL.LOL
Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Front amber lights, the same ones in the headlight assembly? Yes, that would work. I have no wiring diagram for your truck, but it's easy to find out which wire. Remove the headlight assembly to get at that light, remove the bulb, start the truck, and just probe with a tester to find which wire is supplying power, and tap into that. I'd suggest doing like myself, and actually strip some insulation off the wire, make a solder connection, then coat with liquid electrical tape.

My reply may sound a bit funny, but even after being in Ontario practically daily, I really never have noticed which lights are the DRLs on a 150. But at least I see the truck, with or without the DRL.LOL
Yes, the amber light right under the headlight is the drl's. I was told by a friend that the lights would blink though since that is also a signal light. But I am going to take the headlight out soon and do some probing to see if there is constant power in one of the wires.

And yes, I plan on stripping the wire and soldering the connection and coating wth liquid electrical tape, instead of using those crappy wire taps.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Good man.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM
F150 Forum

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Good man.
The Link gdmjoe posted will be your best bet. The wiring wire taps supplied are very easy to use and beat cutting and splicing. how to do it is laid out in the instructions, let me know if you have any difficulties, just finished those up the other day..
http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/light...lle-Lights.pdf

Thanks for posting that Joe..

Quick Reply: Raptor grill and lights