Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Inaccuracy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Navigation Inaccuracy

I noticed when I enter my home address into the navigation system in my 2014 Limited, the location showing up on the map is 1-1/2 blocks South of my actual address. Is there a way to correct that?

Last edited by shortride; 08-01-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem also. What I did was use a intersection close to home for home.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I am not familiar with your system but what works with most nav systems is this:

1, Park in your driveway
2, Use the nav to locate your current location (usually hitting the icon/arrow that is you).
3, Enter that address as your home.

Or

3, Some nav systems will let you save your current location as your home location.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 AM
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

Was it always like this? Did you put on different size tires? Did you try letting go the battery for a bit? I put different size tires on. Let go the battery for 1/2 hour and hooked it back up. All good since
Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by FordEver
Was it always like this? Did you put on different size tires? Did you try letting go the battery for a bit? I put different size tires on. Let go the battery for 1/2 hour and hooked it back up. All good since
I've only had my new Limited for 4 months and the address location was wrong when I first entered it into the destination information.

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
I am not familiar with your system but what works with most nav systems is this:

1, Park in your driveway
2, Use the nav to locate your current location (usually hitting the icon/arrow that is you).
3, Enter that address as your home.

Or

3, Some nav systems will let you save your current location as your home location.

Hope that helps.
I'll check to see if the system will allow me to do it that way. My nav with show my actual location while sitting in the driveway now. It's the address information that is not correct. I'm not sure but I don't think that has anything to do with the navigation system.

Last edited by shortride; 08-01-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I've only had my new Limited for 4 months and the address location was wrong when I first entered it into the destination information.

I'll check to see if the system will allow me to do it that way. My nav with show my actual location while sitting in the driveway now. It's the address information that is not correct. I'm not sure but I don't think that has anything to do with the navigation system.
It's not uncommon for navigation maps to have misplaced addresses. Even some roads may not show up properly at times. I know my garmin system has weird boundaries where it has to recalculate the route even when travelling straight down the road. It's all in the map data. Sometimes it gets corrected with map updates (but not always). Just imagine the shear amount of data in a North American map, there's bound to be a few bugs here and there. This is why we get the humorous news articles of people following the gps into a lake.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

If your Ford nav routes you accurately point-to-point to another address or business, then its not the nav unit at fault but instead an error in location software the particular nav unit uses. I'm not positive but suspect FoMoCo nav units are powered by same Navteq software used by Garmin and others.

For example, I ordered my (sig) truck intentionally w/o integrated Ford nav 'cus I prefer separate Garmin units which are much cheaper to replace if needed as well as Garmin's "lifetime map" upgrades plus ability to create and upload a multi-point route vs simple point-to-point destination (where you are now to where you want to go). On all my Garmin units (older StreetPilot and newer Nuvi), Garmin puts my street address about a block away, however otherwise routes accurately to another address. The error is in the Navteq positional software, which can only be corrected by reporting the error which is likely not worth the effort. An address is nothing more than GPS coordinates (Lat/Lon) for that specific location. On my Garmin units, I use "current position" as Home vs my street address...
Old 08-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by DirtDawg
If your Ford nav routes you accurately point-to-point to another address or business, then its not the nav unit at fault but instead an error in location software the particular nav unit uses. I'm not positive but suspect FoMoCo nav units are powered by same Navteq software used by Garmin and others.

For example, I ordered my (sig) truck intentionally w/o integrated Ford nav 'cus I prefer separate Garmin units which are much cheaper to replace if needed as well as Garmin's "lifetime map" upgrades plus ability to create and upload a multi-point route vs simple point-to-point destination (where you are now to where you want to go). On all my Garmin units (older StreetPilot and newer Nuvi), Garmin puts my street address about a block away, however otherwise routes accurately to another address. The error is in the Navteq positional software, which can only be corrected by reporting the error which is likely not worth the effort. An address is nothing more than GPS coordinates (Lat/Lon) for that specific location. On my Garmin units, I use "current position" as Home vs my street address...
I understand. Everyone's address here locally that I plug into the nav unit is about one to 1.5 block off.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Clearly from stated results, its not Navteq (or similar mapping software) but instead a Ford nav issue. I can't comment much more other than having read similar complaints here, so used the search function for "gps error" and found this one which some reported cured positional errors by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few hours: Nav Placement Is Off

Maybe try that and report back?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I noticed when I enter my home address into the navigation system in my 2014 Limited, the location showing up on the map is 1-1/2 blocks South of my actual address. Is there a way to correct that?
Hi shortride,

One quick troubleshooting step I recommend is called a master reset. Here are the steps: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html

If the master reset doesn't do the trick, check to see if you're running the latest map version for your truck by visiting: www.Navigation.com

If you continue to experience this issue even after you've confirmed that the maps are up to date, I suggest reaching out to your dealership so they can take a closer look.

Kim

Quick Reply: Navigation Inaccuracy