Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Shifts hard from 1 to 2 gear at low speed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
MASTER OWNER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Shifts hard from 1 to 2 gear at low speed.

Has anyone else felt that hard shift between 1rst and 2nd gear at a low speed? I only have 950 miles on my truck so I am taking it easy on her. Well it just don't feel right. It doesn't do it all the time but more often than not.

IF anyone is curious im getting about 15.7 miles to the gal. at average speeds of 60 to 70 mph. I travel 25 miles one way to work on hwys mostly. hope it gets better.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Shifting

I have a 09 f150. Same thing. It shifts very hard and sometimes it seems like it is sliping. I had it in twice for this, they said there is nothing wrong with it. It is the new electric 6 speed trans, and thats how it shifts.
I dont like when the truck is cold and I leave my driveway in the morning, come to the first stop sign and the whole back of my truck lifts up (like a break tourqe) and then it downshifts with a masive BANG that rumbles thru the floor. Ford Says It Normal. I dont think so.
Does your do that.
Good Luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this is an F150 forum but your tranny problems sound a lot like the problems I and many of the new Thunderbird owners faced. Ford and an issue with the new electronic 5 speed automatic transmission in the 2002 and 2003 T-Birds. It took Ford two model years to figure out there was a problem with the programming in the tranny. The programming problem also forced Ford to replace the Torque converter on a lot of the effect T-Birds.

We were having very rough shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. There was a loud knocking sounds that shook the whole car. I found that if I kept the car out of Overdrive while driving at speed under 50 or while in Stop-and-Go city driving helped a lot.

Good Luck
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jjf753
I have a 09 f150. Same thing. It shifts very hard and sometimes it seems like it is sliping. I had it in twice for this, they said there is nothing wrong with it. It is the new electric 6 speed trans, and thats how it shifts.
I dont like when the truck is cold and I leave my driveway in the morning, come to the first stop sign and the whole back of my truck lifts up (like a break tourqe) and then it downshifts with a masive BANG that rumbles thru the floor. Ford Says It Normal. I dont think so.
Does your do that.
Good Luck.
I have found the same issue. Dealer says he doesnt know anything about it. I find 1 a very revy fast shifting...hard shifting gear as well. Also, notice the clunk when stopping when the truck shifts down. Also, in drive and letting the idle put the truck ahead, i sometimes find a pulse to the motion. But, the more miles i put in the truck less i notice the shift issues up and down and the low speed pulse is now all but gone.

I sure hope there are no major issues with the shift program and or torque converter like you mention either Tbird
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same thing. When coming to a stop, the truck clunks down into first. I asked the dealership and they said all of the new trucks do it as well and not sure if breaking it in would solve the problem. I wonder if a programmer would fix it when they come out.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 AM
MASTER OWNER

so i am not the only one then. i have 1850 miles on mine and still seems to me and you guys there is a problem. i would let the person that would be purely responsible for this drive my truck for a day and hear what he has to say. uhg. its normal, probably.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Mine does the same thing, shifts alot feels like its slipping. And then when you brake it feels like your still in the gas, lifts the back of the truck up, like it dont want to stop.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM

My Truck is also shifting hard. I was hoping it was just the cold weather, but reading these posts does not make me feel any better.
I have just over 600 miles on the truck. I've noticed it the most at slow speeds, seems like it is having trouble deciding which gear to use.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just want to say that I don't have an issue. I have the base model 4-speed Auto. What do the rest of you have?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM

I haven't noticed any hard shifting. I think the new 6 speed is great.

Quick Reply: Engine Shifts hard from 1 to 2 gear at low speed.